Carbing in Amber pet bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillsrob

Reaction score
Hey, I just purchased 48x1liter Amber plastic bottles from my lhbs and the guy told me I needed to use extra priming sugar compared with using glass? I'd never heard this before. He said if I use an average of 180g for glass bottles I should use about 200-220 for plastic..?

Unless he was referring to some volumetric difference (you don't mention what size "glass" is on the other side of his equation), that's a pant load right there...

Cheers!

I figured. I batch carb before I bottle so when I do 23 litres it should be the same no matter what I put it in right?

For the most part: same size bottles will use the same amount of primer, but larger containers actually may require less primer.

eg: keggers use ~2/3 or less of the charge that 12 oz bottlers would use for the same carbonation level...

Cheers!

I remember when pet bottles became popular for home brewers. That belief stemmed from bottle expansion. It was debunked pretty much right away.

I kinda figured. I used I think it was 160g for 23 litres. It's about the average I use for pale ales.

Back