Carbing 10 points high in PET

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

podz

Reaction score
Subject says it all: is bottling 10 points high into PET enough sugar to get a proper carb? No risk of explosion, not worried about that.

Subject says it all: is bottling 10 points high into PET enough sugar to get a proper carb? No risk of explosion, not worried about that.

According to the BrewersFriend priming calclator, You would need 6.4 oz or 0.4 lbs of DME to achieve 2.5 vols of carbonation in 5 gal of beer fermented at 68°F. The beer starts out with 0.86 volumes of CO2, so the priming sugar will add 2.5 - 0.86 = 1.64 vols of CO2. Now, the DME has a potential of 44 points/lb, so the points added by the DME is
0.4 lb * 44 pts-gal/lb / 5 gal = 3.52 points​
You have 10 excess points, so the ratio to the example is 10 / 3.52 = 2.84. Since the example priming gave us 1.64 volumes of CO2, 10 extra points would give us 1.64 * 2.84 = 4.66 volumes. And, the total volumes would be 0.86 + 4.66 = 5.52 volumes.

Do you want that much carbonation?

Brew on :mug:

I'm talking about bottling at 1.026 when the target final gravity is 1.016. Sorry if you did not understand me, I thought the context wouldn't warrant extreme details.

I think he answered the question. Bottling with 10 points to still be fermented will give the bottled beer a final carb value of 5.52vols. This is way overcarbed. You would be better to wait until you are around 1.020 (or 4 points away from FG) to carbonate. Given a 2.3 vol/co2 for 5 gal, this would require 5.6oz DME or 4.2oz corn sugar (both netting an OG of 1.004 in 5 gal). Therefore, add 4 points to your projected FG, and carb then.

If 2.3 vol/co2 isnt what level you would like, simply use a calculator to find out how much DME/corn sugar you need to hit your desired vol, find out how many points that equals in 5 gal, and use that value to add to your expected OG to know what SG to bottle

I'm talking about bottling at 1.026 when the target final gravity is 1.016. Sorry if you did not understand me, I thought the context wouldn't warrant extreme details.

What I calculated is what would happen if you bottled at 1.026 with no added priming sugar, and then the beer continued to ferment in the bottle down to 1.016. I thought that was what you were asking.

But, if it's at an SG of 1.026 and hasn't finished fermenting, there is really no way to know if it will actually continue to ferment to 1.016, or if it might go even lower. If the gravity is stable at 1.026 now, then you would have to add priming sugar to get any carbonation by bottle conditioning.

Brew on :mug:

You should do a forced ferment if you are bottling this way, to see what your actual final gravity will be. Kaiser talks about it a fair bit on his website www.braukaiser.com

What I calculated is what would happen if you bottled at 1.026 with no added priming sugar, and then the beer continued to ferment in the bottle down to 1.016. I thought that was what you were asking.

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Thanks, I did not understand you.

Anyway, I bottled them now and they were around 1.020. I can predict with pretty much 100% accuracy that this batch will finish at 1.016 because it is all extract. Can't wait to get back to doing some AG so I can get some lower terminal gravities. No time at the moment.

Back