Carb with sugar and dispense with mix gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
Since I have accumulated enough parts I'm considering upgrading away from my dorm fridge with a single picnic tap and 5lb CO2 tank. But I want to plan for brewery kegs such as Guiness, Boddingtons and Kilkenny on a stout tap.

I'm debating running a single large external gas tank with beer gas, (70% CO2 / 30% N2). I'll prime my homebrew with sugar in the keg before connecting to serve via the mix gas.

I planning:
1. 30 ish psi from the tank.
2. 30 psi and a short beer line, (<3') for the stout tap.
3. Secondary regulator to knock down the PSI a bit for hombrew (22psi).
4. Long beer lines, (10-15' of 3/16") on the homebrew to drop serving pressure.
5. Storage temp of 36DegF at 600 Ft' elevation in a R-10 foam walled 24"x60"x36" box, (WxLxH).

My main question is do you think I will be able to dispense the brewery based Irish beers adequately? Also how is homebrew through a stout tap; any benefit? I'm open to hear other problems you can envision, or better ways to do it.

My reasoning is that I have accumulated the Nitro regulator, high pressure 200lb nitro tank, stout tap, 3 smooth pour taps and a 4x gas manifold. I also have enough beer and gas line to get started. The missing bits are easily Christmas presents :)

PS. Yes that is a two hundred lb tank. I’ll see how it is to get filled. I picked it up for free as the property owner had no use for it and it was in the basement doing nothing since they bought the commercial building 2+ years ago. Dam thing weighs 110 empty!

Back