Carb vs No Carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syris33

Reaction score
Two different batches and same results. I get some beers that have full carb and taste fantastic and then some with absolutely zero and tastes like trash. I'm an extract brewer. The last batch was a triple belgium that i had in a secondary for two months. First was White House Honey Ale. I've had zero problems with beer that I've transferred from the primary but both beers I've transferred from the secondary have left me with carb problems. Please advise.

Add some fresh yeast along with your carbing sugar at bottling. There's debate as to whether or not this is really necessary, but yeast is cheap and it certainly doesn't hurt. My anecdotal experience is that all my batches with added yeast have carbed perfectly, I can't say the same for the others.

unless you are bottling a year old beer (like a sour or big barleywine) you will have enough yeast to carbonate the beer, 2 months is nothing and you probably sucked in a puff or two of yeast when racking into the bottling bucket. hard telling what your carb issues are related to since we don't know all the details like how much sugar you used, volume of beer, temperature of the bottles while carbing and so on.

How do you mix in your priming sugar and what kind of sugar do you use? What size are the batches and what c02 level are you shooting for?

Sorry I didn't put down enough info. I brew 5 gallon batches. I use the normal 5 oz of priming sugar which I stir into the bottling bucket. I bottle condition my beer at 75 degrees. I'll open one beer and it will be perfectly carbed. Open another and it's dead flat. I was wondering maybe that leaving the little bit of yeast cake in the secondary and not stirring it up before transferring to the bottling bucket could be the issue? Thanks in advance.

Did you stir in dry priming sugar or dissolve it in 1-2 cups of boiling water first?

I put my dissolved priming sugar in the bottling bucket first, then syphon in the beer to mix vs stirring...and have had good success.

Could it be that you're not getting a good seal on your bottles?

I know I used a 12-pack of Stella bottles for one batch, and promptly got ride of them afterwards as half of them were flat. I had a bit of trouble capping them, but thought I figured it out though, and decided to use them. My mistake, and I wasn't about to make it twice.

To me if some of them are carbed perfectly, while the others are flat, it's not a problem of mixing, or else some of them would be overcarbed (and potentially bottle bombs). You also have enough yeast in suspension, or none of them would be carbed.

I am thinking it must be not having a proper seal on the bottles. Thanks for all the responses.

Back