Carb Up 1gal in 5gal keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bondra76

Reaction score
Just curious how fast does it take to carb up 1 gallon in a 5 gallon keg? Switching to some small batch next week while I experiment brews. Thanks in advance.

I think it's dependent on head pressure and temperature. Volume may play a role but I don't remember. Maybe someone else will chime in and have an answer. I'd say 2-3 weeks using the set and forget method

My three gallon batches in a small keg take the same amount as 5 gallons in a Corny. You could speed carbonate by letting the keg lean over or lie on the floor, giving more surface area to carbonate. Kyle

The CO2 in your beer is pressure, temperature and time dependant. As stated above not on volume. One thing to keep in mind, be sure to purge off all of the 02 in your keg. With 4 gallons of headspace this will take a lot more than just burping the keg when its filled with 5 gallons. Discovered that the source of oxidation in some of my beers was coming from the kegs - I was brewing 3 gallon batches and kegging in 5 gallon kegs and not purging off all the 02 properly...just an FYI.

It's likely not a linear function, but of course volume matters.

Take it to the extreme: all other things equal, an inch of beer in a 5g corny is going to reach equilibrium much quicker than a full 5 gallons would...

Cheers!

It's likely not a linear function, but of course volume matters.

Take it to the extreme: all other things equal, an inch of beer in a 5g corny is going to reach equilibrium much quicker than a full 5 gallons would...

Cheers!

Yep. Probably has to do with the ratio of surface area to volume.

Back