Carb stone issue!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickyBeers

Reaction score
Take a look at my carb stone… I used it once with a wheat beer, and I thought I boiled it out enough after… I read to store in vodka. It’s been a few months and now it looks like it’s rusting, but I don’t see how that possible. Could it be beer that is leaking out from before? There are small particle of brownish rust looking stuff suspending that you can really see. What should I do? Is it trash or can I save the stone?
E8CF1661-A865-4110-92FF-E46BDCC3608D.jpeg

Maybe if you're usinig it every day, a short-term storage in vodka would work, but long term isn't a great idea.
Better bet is to rinse, sanitize, dry, and leave in a cabinet or whatever. Rinse and sanitize before using.

Make sense, ya I don't use it often and not that I'm moving to all pressure fermentation with closed transfers, I don't see myself using it again in the future. However, I have my last extract beer that is finally done lagering after what feels like an eternity and I hoped to get it carbed in a day or so to enjoy on the 4th. Carb stone will be trashed, and slow carb will have to happen. I've heard about high psi and rocking the tanks to get the co2 pumped into the beer quicker but I've waited too long for this beer I'll just keep being patient.

Thanks for the responses.

Back