Carb help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exc503

Reaction score
I kegged on friday, I'm in NY so shortly after the temp dropped out to 9 degrees outside. My kegerator is in my garage, no heat in the garage, so I estimate the temp in the kegerator ended up at 20 ish degrees. I had the pressure set at 8 to 9# which would be about sufficient at 36 degrees to bring it up to 2.4 volumes but what am I at after 3 days at 20 degrees? I don't want beer seltzer

Hopefully the beer wasn't actually at 20 degrees else you'd have a keg of ice beer. Carbonation would then be the least of your problems.

A 5 gallon corny takes a good couple of weeks at ideal CO2 pressure to reach equilibrium. I don't think a day or three a few degrees below temperature would greatly affect the outcome...

Cheers!

I don't think it's frozen it's still sloshing around and hollow sounding and under pressure and with alcohol. From all I can find this beer should be at ideal carb in 7 to 10days.

I don't think it's frozen it's still sloshing around and hollow sounding and under pressure and with alcohol. From all I can find this beer should be at ideal carb in 7 to 10days.

Maybe, but probably not. Generally it takes 10-14 days to carb up, but it won't work if the beer is at 20 degrees of course!

To set your regulator to the appropriate psi, you need to know the temperature of the beer. Carbonation is temperature, pressure, and time dependent.

Latest posts

Back