Carapils, Final Gravity, and BeerSmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atreid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I tried to find a decent answer online but could not find a simple one, so here I am...

I know I can throw some carapils along with the rest of the grain during the mash. It's supposed to release a lot of dextrins, which are mostly not fermentable. Of course, I know I can mash at a higher temperature for that, but let's say that I want some more, I read that I could use some carapils.

My question is: is there a real mathematical relation between the amount of carapils/volume of wort VS the points of Final gravity...??!

If I add a certain amount of carapils which turns my OG from 1.065 to 1.070, can I expect 100% dextrins, which would mean more or less a +0.005 final gravity if compared to no carapils at all? That would mean all the carapils give non-fermentable sugars.

What confuses me even more is that BeerSmith ignores completely the addition of carapils in relation to final gravity. If in a certain recipe, I remove 1kg of 2-row and replace it with 1kg of Carapils, the software gives me the same final gravity (±1 point). Even worst, it clearly considers it as normal grain, since it converts it to alcohol as if mostly fermentable sugars were added... :confused:

What I'm really hoping for is a general rule of thumb as to the amount of carapils to add / point of final gravity I want to add... IF SUCH A RELATION ACTUALLY EXISTS!

As usual, thanks in advance! :p

Alex

I asked a vary similar questions yesterday. When I subbed 1 pound of Carapils for BaseMalt it did not have a noticeable affect on FG. I did see something on the Internets though I saved it as a note, so I don't know the website to reference:

"All-Grain mashes will be somewhat lower (referring to FG of Extract vs. All Grain) . High mash temperatures add to final gravity. Subtract a percent from the attenuation for each two degrees above 150. Adding Dextrin malts, and to a lesser extent, crystal or Munich malt raises the final gravity. Subtract a precent for each pound of crystal or Munich Malt and subtract two precent for each pound of dextrin malt."

I think this was referring to 5.5 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back