Caramel Macchiato Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enoch52

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making my first stout, and I thought something with a bit of caramel flavor might be a nice twist. I wanted to use a sweet/milk stout as a base, and punch up the coffee and caramel flavors. Here's what I have right now (using Otiexeira's Milk O'Stout recipe as a starting point):

8.0 oz Rice Hulls
8 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt (60L)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt (120L)
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose)
1.50 oz Fuggles [3.80 %]
0.50 oz Fuggles [3.80 %]
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084)

The only change I've made was to drop a pound of MO and add in the pound of caramel malts. I'm also considering boiling down some of the first runnings to get a little kettle caramelization.

Any thoughts?

If I may I think the carmel taste your shooting for is from candy syrup. See carmel ale in the recieps section of these forms. I have the carmel ale on tap and has a very carmel taste to it.

Well, I was looking at experimenting with candy syrups anyway...thanks for the feedback!

So would you axe the caramel malts and add the MO back in?

Do you bottle or keg? There's always Caramel extract. I've tried it and it's not bad. Another thing that was suggested when I was asking about the flavor your shooting for was to steep your caramel grains to get just the flavor and boil it down a bit to concentrate and then add to bottling bucket or keg.

Good luck!

I'm bottling. I've never played around with flavor extracts--do those work well?

Oh, I forgot to mention that I'm planning on adding some cold-pressed coffee at bottling. I may hold the lactose back and see what it tastes like after fermentation is done, and add it as necessary.

Latest posts

Back