Caramel Apple Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here on the sauce. Made it last night. Smells good but smells and testes like maple syrup. Like you'd put on pancakes.

Haha, I ran out of airlocks and had to go old school. It's a balloon with a few pin holes in it.

As long as you poke a few pin holes in the balloon, the balloon will let air out but not in.

First 3 times I did this recipie, I was super concerned about overcarb/bottle bombs, and ended up sterilizing in the dishwasher after 2 or 3 days. Still product. This time, getting a little more daring, I took approporate precautions and have gone 2-3 weeks. Still no carb. FYI, I usually let this go in primary 4 weeks, then bottle. Product goes to just under 1.00. Does the forum think the yeast is inactive due to high alcohol content? I don't mind still, but would like to be able to prepare a sparkling product when I choose to. I backsweeten in the bottling bucket with 2 cups brown sugar and 5 cans FAJC, if it makes a difference.

I saw. I read (most of) the pages. I conquered.

And all the people who received the (uncarbed - I'm not a jedi yet) bottled cider lived happily ever after.

THE END.

Or was it only the beginning.... :ban:

Congrats, but don't fear the carbonation!

I've bottled two batches and haven't had a problem yet (though I do like mine with very light carbonation) and I don't know what the hell I'm doing more often than not

William,

I had the same problem on my first batch. I didnt have a plastic soda bottle for testing so i just waited 5 days and opened bottle, still. I waited a few more days and still flat. I finally put it in the fridge after 2weeks and when i drink it there is just a slight carb to it.

I didnt want my cider too sweet so i let it go down to 1.000. Looks like you did them same thing and here is my theory : the yeast is either dormant and to much has settled out and so there's not enough yeast in the bottles or it is dead.

First 3 times I did this recipie, I was super concerned about overcarb/bottle bombs, and ended up sterilizing in the dishwasher after 2 or 3 days. Still product. This time, getting a little more daring, I took approporate precautions and have gone 2-3 weeks. Still no carb. FYI, I usually let this go in primary 4 weeks, then bottle. Product goes to just under 1.00. Does the forum think the yeast is inactive due to high alcohol content? I don't mind still, but would like to be able to prepare a sparkling product when I choose to. I backsweeten in the bottling bucket with 2 cups brown sugar and 5 cans FAJC, if it makes a difference.

The high alcohol content would be my first guess. Maybe dormant yeast? I was also told that sometimes a really high sugar content can overwhelm the yeast. Any truth to this? I could see it possibly creating a hypertonic environment preventing the yeast from multiplying, I might be wrong.

A week after sulfiting and the gravity hasn't changed, which is a good sign. sweetened the cider and it brought it back up to 1.020. Been carbing the keg the past couple days, plan on bottling tomorrow.

I can't wait to brew this. I'll be bottling my pumpkjn next week and then jumping right into this. I'm thinking champagne bottles. Thoughts and reccomendations?

Made the caramel sauce last night. Re-racked my 1st fall batch back into a 5 gallon jug and added some k-sorbate to keep it from keeping going. It is very dry with a FG of right at 1.000. I didn't measure the OG but after adding 5# sugar to it, I suspect I was around the 1.090 range. This stuff has some serious kick! Going to make 5 different gallon jugs with different recipes. I think 4 will have the caramel apple pie and varying amounts of AJC. 1 is going to get cranberry concentrate so hopefully my wife will enjoy it. She doesn't like apple cider to begin with.

Nice...you can also try cherry juice or blueberry pomegranate juice. Both mix well and taste great. A little bit goes a long way.

jak1010 said:
Nice...you can also try cherry juice or blueberry pomegranate juice. Both mix well and taste great. A little bit goes a long way.

I was thinking about something along those lines... About how much ("a little bit") did you use (and was it for a five gal batch or less)? Thx...

Bottled on Sunday and finally finished! We brought the keg to room temp and took another reading which again revealed no additional fermentation. Back sweetened which brought it back up to almost 1.020. Waited a few days then sampled again and found the gravity to be unchanged after back sweetening. Regarding the carbing process, we were strained for time which limited us with the amount of carbonation we were able to impart in the cider. That, along with the keg being at room temperature left us with so-so carbonation. It's definitely there, just not quite at the level I prefer it. As far as the taste is concerned, I think it tastes great! It reminds me of Woodchuck but with a smaller level of sweetness which is exactly what I was shooting for.

The next time around I might add more caramel sauce and less FAJC. My buddy has a batch in a carboy now and is currently working on a way to impart a more substantial authentic caramel flavor using different ingredients. I'll report back here how it goes. Thanks again!

Quick question,
I'm getting ready to pasteurize my batch which was bottled on Saturday. My test bottle was starting to firm up so I figured I'd do it now. I just opened my test bottle and it was a gusher.
Is it just because it was warm and am I safe to go ahead and pasteurize as normal? I'd hate to dump it all and rebottle but I'd hate even more to lose half of my batch in the pasteurizing process.

open one of your capped ones and see how it does. you may have a better idea then. Heck, pop 2 just to be sure. I've had the same but not all bottles carbed at the same level and the process went just fine.

I just cracked another and it slowly but surely foamed over :(

I don't guess that'll get fixed during pasteurization. Looks like I'm dumping back into a bucket until I can make more syrup, then rebottling

I just cracked my carb sampler soda bottle after three days as it was getting very firm and I was afraid of over-carbing. The cider was lightly carbed was mostly noticeable on the pour only. I'll leave the bottles another 24 hours before pasteurizing.

As for the taste, I'm very impressed. This is my 5th year pressing and fermenting my own cider and this is among the best. I didn't get around to bottling until the FG was at .995 (Nottingham) after about a month and only added 2 cans of AJ concentrate with the syrup but it still is very sweet with enough alcohol dryness to keep you reminded that it's hard cider. I think a month in the bottles (post pasteurizing) will do quite well for this. That still makes it drinkable many weeks, if not months, before many ciders anyway.

Thank you for the inspiration! :mug:

p.s. - one note about the syrup: consider warming it up before adding to the bottling bucket. The cold syrup was clumpy at the bottom and I had to stir it into the cider so it didn't stay on the bottom.

Thanks pwortiz. Unfortunately I was a bit trigger-happy.

I just cracked another and it slowly but surely foamed over :(

I don't guess that'll get fixed during pasteurization. Looks like I'm dumping back into a bucket until I can make more syrup, then rebottling

Quick note about this, I dumped everything back into the fermenter and I'll likely rebottle tomorrow.

Had I not been an idiot, I would have tested one of both type of bottles I used. The shorter, fatter bottles all foamed over when they were opened. However, only about 1/4 of the long neck ones went nuts. It could have been a coincidence but I don't think it was. Lesson learned I guess.

How much syrup should I add before I rebottle, or does it matter all the much?

Kegged this tonight. Tasted good, but the caramel flavor was overshadowed by the AJ concentrate. Made me wish that I had doubled the caramel. Does the caramel flavor become pronounced as it ages?

LiftedAWDAstro said:
Made the caramel sauce last night. Re-racked my 1st fall batch back into a 5 gallon jug and added some k-sorbate to keep it from keeping going. It is very dry with a FG of right at 1.000. I didn't measure the OG but after adding 5# sugar to it, I suspect I was around the 1.090 range. This stuff has some serious kick! Going to make 5 different gallon jugs with different recipes. I think 4 will have the caramel apple pie and varying amounts of AJC. 1 is going to get cranberry concentrate so hopefully my wife will enjoy it. She doesn't like apple cider to begin with.

5#??? Holy s):/!!! I add 2# to my 5 gallon batches and get an OG of approx 1.060 and FG of 1.000 yielding bout 7.75% ABV! Youve got some serious ethanol goin there! The last batch I made I used 4 cans FAJC and 1 can frozen cranberry juice concentrate. Very nice cranberry flavor for the holidays and a slight reddish color!!

It was done. I had it stowed away in my beer closet. The flavor was right where I wanted it too. I had finally got that cinnamon to caramel ratio right. I've always had trouble with that jug. It doesn't like corks. I can put a cork on it empty and it still tries to throw it. Next time there will be some plastic wrap added to the equation.

Nahh... just get some of that wire they use for wine/champagne bottles and put a cage over the cork to help hold it in. :) :mug:

jak1010 said:
Mine were 1 gallon batches and I used 1.5 cups of juice per gallon.

Hope this isn't too much of a derail of the thread, since I didn't use it in the Caramel Apple Cider (though that did turn out awesome when I made it, and hence why I am subscribed to this thread)... But I added 1.5 cups of "Cranberry Nectar with Ginger" (a blend of apple, cranberry, and ginger juices) to a Spiced Cyser I made (was a two gal batch - kept one as is and added this juice to the other). Part of the spices was some grated fresh ginger, so I'm thinking the ginger and apple juices will blend well already, and the cranberry will offset some off the sweetness from the honey. Gonna be a while to condition, but looking forward to tasting this one eventually! Thanks...

image-2970020063.jpg

Just a heads up for those who are bottle carbing this. I just had a 5 gallon batch that made my tester bottle turn rock hard in a day and a half. Went to stove top pasturize at 180 degrees and with the bottles in the bath for 2 minutes, one top SHOT off and another started bubbling around the cap. Took them out, re sealed, and put right in the fridge.

These suckers carb fast with all the extra sugar. Keep your eye on them!

Just a heads up for those who are bottle carbing this. I just had a 5 gallon batch that made my tester bottle turn rock hard in a day and a half. Went to stove top pasturize at 180 degrees and with the bottles in the bath for 2 minutes, one top SHOT off and another started bubbling around the cap. Took them out, re sealed, and put right in the fridge.

I ended up letting mine carb up too much too...some bottles were gushers, but nothing like that.
If it helps, I emptied all of the bottles back into a fermenter. There was a big alcohol taste so I reprimed with 2 FAJC and some caramel syrup and pasteurized the next day (partially out of paranoia). Right now they're tasting mighty fine and still have a slight carbonation.

Cheesy_Goodness said:
I ended up letting mine carb up too much too...some bottles were gushers, but nothing like that. If it helps, I emptied all of the bottles back into a fermenter. There was a big alcohol taste so I reprimed with 2 FAJC and some caramel syrup and pasteurized the next day (partially out of paranoia). Right now they're tasting mighty fine and still have a slight carbonation.

No gushers for mine. Actually, the carb level is perfect for me. Almost champagne like. But I guess it was just too much to stove top pasturize. Oh well, I kegged 3 gallons of it so the 2 gallons in bottles went right into the kegerator to stall the yeast

HopHeaven said:

That's similar to my experience. My tester bottle felt firm and was carbed good when I opened it to test it after about 4-5 days so I started to pasteurize. Out of the five bottles in the first batch to be pasteurized, three exploded and one bubbled out around the cap. So I aborted the pasteurization process and just popped the cap off of every bottle to release the pressure and recapped. Then stuck them all in the keezer. That seemed to help. Didn't end up with any bombs out of them. Next batch of this I make will be stabilized, kegged and then bottled from the keg.

This recipe was definitely a big hit for my wife. She even went out and bought an additional 5 gallons of cider to make more. Unfortunately, she didn't realize cider with sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate is a big no-no. My fault for not telling her, but she could have mentioned she was planning on buying some more cider...

If you make a starter or use two packages of yeast, or both, you might be able to overcome the preservatives. At least that's what I've read on other threads.

Okay, so my quandry is that I would like to try this bad boy out in my keg. 1, because I am new to kegging and I want to put everything in there, and then 2, because my wife finds it much easier to pull the handle than find a bottle opener and pour to a glass :).

My question is... Would 5 campden tabs be enough to thwart the self-carbonation that will be going on with the backsweetning? I'd like to put it on the gas for about a week and have it constant at serving pressure, and be good to go. What I dont want is for all of those little yeasties to keep doing their job and over-carbing my cider.

Any help/advise is appreciated!!

I've read you should use both K-Meta and Potassium Sorbate to be sure you kill the yeasties!

I would not recommend using plastic PET bottles if you plan on heat pasteurizing.

Find a local bottle redemption center, you may be able to score used glass bottles cheap.

Or hit up your favorite watering hole (outside your house and Homebrew friends! :D) A lot of them will just be throwing out the bottles so would probably be happy to give them to you.

5#??? Holy s):/!!! I add 2# to my 5 gallon batches and get an OG of approx 1.060 and FG of 1.000 yielding bout 7.75% ABV! Youve got some serious ethanol goin there!

Why yes, yes I do! :cross: I figure about 11% or so. I have to limit myself to 2 glasses at most or sip a glass over an hour or 2.

I'm thinking about doubling the caramel too. I love the apple flavor but the caramel is barely present for me.
To answer your question, I haven't noticed it getting more pronounced in the 3(?) batches I've made.

Cheesy_Goodness said:
I'm thinking about doubling the caramel too. I love the apple flavor but the caramel is barely present for me. To answer your question, I haven't noticed it getting more pronounced in the 3(?) batches I've made.

Wow. That's really surprising. How much AJ concentrate are you adding? Ground cinnamon or cinnamon extract. I add a bit of homemade Madagascar vanilla bean extract to this and it adds another layer of deliciousness

There are a couple of factors...

First, if the caramel flavor is being overpowered by FAJC: the original recipe called for back sweetening with the caramel sauce and 5 cans of FAJC. Somewhere in this thread, it was revised from 5 cans to 3. I've tried both and prefer 3 cans.

Second, if you're bottling this, the caramel may settle on the bottom. Swirling the bottle before pouring helps. Not sure what to say if you kegged.

Hope this helps in some way.

Latest posts

Back