Carambola (star fruit) wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erroneous

Reaction score
I've got a lady I work with with a ton of star fruit she's been trying to get rid of. Has anyone here made carambola wine before or know any recipes? A quick Google tells me I'm looking for around 15 lbs of fruit, plus some sugar and maybe grape juice or something. I haven't plugged anything into beer smith yet but I'm thinking 15 lbs of the fruit, water to bring to 5 gallons, yeast nutrient and tannin, and cane sugar to bring to 1.080. Amy thoughts?

If I recall correctly star fruit has a subtle taste? If that's the case, then I would go with 5lbs per gallon. If I am wrong on the taste, forgive me. Its been ages since I had one.

It is a subtle taste. I think that's why many of the recipes I've seen have you add some other kind of juice. I could always do 5 lbs per gallon and dilute to taste if necessary.

Yeah, I usually do 3-4 lbs fruit per gallon, but for something as subtle as star fruit, I could totally see doing 5 lbs. As you point out, you can always dilute later. I also usually do 1-3 lbs of sugar per gallon, depending on a) how boozy I want it and b) how much residual sugar I might want leftover. I feel like star fruit would do nicely as a dry wine, so maybe go for less sugar? At least to start? Adding some other juice (grape or apple) would help give the wine some body -- I'd go for white grape juice rather than red for fear of totally swamping the star fruit flavor. Just my 2-cents! Keep us posted. I'd love to hear how this one turns out.

Anyone have a follow up on making wine with the star fruit? Have some in our freeze and want to make some wine with it.

Schnebly Redland's Winery in Homestead, FL does a star fruit wine. Maybe they could give you some info. (I see that their web site seems a bit screwy, BTW.)

Anyone have a follow up on making wine with the star fruit? Have some in our freeze and want to make some wine with it.
I’m about to start a batch using 1.5 gallons of star fruit juice. I’m adding 0.5 gallon if apple juice, two gallons of water, and approximately 6 pounds of sugar (1.080 gravity). Lalvin 1118 yeast.
Any comments would be appreciated.

I would leave out most of the water, and cut down the sugar to get your target OG. If your wine is made of 50% water it is going to taste very watered down. You might get away with using that much water using a fruit with a very strong flavor such as cranberries, but starfruit has a more delicate flavor.

I’m about to start a batch using 1.5 gallons of star fruit juice. I’m adding 0.5 gallon if apple juice, two gallons of water, and approximately 6 pounds of sugar (1.080 gravity). Lalvin 1118 yeast.
After some research, I started this batch as described above, with a few changes. I added the 1/2 gallon of apple juice, and also added a 1/2 gallon white grape juice too. I added 8 pounds of sugar and the SG is 1.092. The yeast is Lalvin 1116. Any thoughts are appreciated.

After some research, I started this batch as described above, with a few changes. I added the 1/2 gallon of apple juice, and also added a 1/2 gallon white grape juice too. I added 8 pounds of sugar and the SG is 1.092. The yeast is Lalvin 1116. Any thoughts are appreciated.
I just noticed your two replies. I wish I saw them earlier. The one reason I added water is my juice supplier used 30 pounds of fruit to get the 1 1/2 gallons of juice. I figured it was too concentrated. Fermentation started yesterday. I’ll update soon.

I just noticed your two replies. I wish I saw them earlier. The one reason I added water is my juice supplier used 30 pounds of fruit to get the 1 1/2 gallons of juice. I figured it was too concentrated. Fermentation started yesterday. I’ll update soon.
On 12/6/22, I added k-meta (0.25 tsp) and waited 24 hours before adding yeast (Lalvin 1116). After 2 days it started fermentation but never got robust. Today, I checked gravity and it’s 1.017. I’ve kept room temp at 67°F. What should I do if the fermentation has ended? Your thoughts would be appreciated.

On 12/6/22, I added k-meta (0.25 tsp) and waited 24 hours before adding yeast (Lalvin 1116). After 2 days it started fermentation but never got robust. Today, I checked gravity and it’s 1.017. I’ve kept room temp at 67°F. What should I do if the fermentation has ended? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Update:
The carambola wine finished perfectly. SG ended at 0.992 and color is richly golden. I’m very pleased with how this star fruit juice is progressing and plan on bottling in a few weeks. Thanks.
I’m very pleased with the golden color as shown in photo. Thanks for any interest.

Attachments

• 2D6B1C60-1A5C-441D-B883-0BCDB172229F.jpeg
    2D6B1C60-1A5C-441D-B883-0BCDB172229F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Have you tasted it yet? Im doing star fruit in my first batch. 26lbs star fruit, 1 pineapple, about 15 mandarin oranges and a gallon of 100% white grape juice. I just added the yeast yesterday so I'm curious about how similar brews have turned out.

Latest posts

Back