Carafa 3 (dehusked) max usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBrew

Reaction score
Hi all.

I've not used this specialty malt before but I'm looking to brew either a black IPA or a black lager and this seems to be the way to go if you're looking to avoid the strong/harsh roast flavour/aromas from likes of Chocolate and Roasted Barley.

I've been doing some reading and most of the info out there suggests max usage for Carafa 3 should be 5% or, ideally, a bit lower. My grain bill is looking like just pale or pils malt, some munich, and carafa - no crystal malts etc.

With usage below 5% I'm not going to get the colour dark enough for the style I'm brewing - I'd need to increase it to about 10%.

My questions is, does anyone know why it's suggested to keep usage for this grain below 5%? As it's de-husked I'm thinking any harshness should be very very minimal even with (slightly) increased usage (?).

To remedy, I'm thinking of using just under 10% carafe but only mashing half of that and the rest add as a cold steep at the end of the boil. Would this combat the seemingly ill effects of using to much in the grist?

Cheers

I'm not sure about the suggested maximums for Carafa Special, but what about using some midnight wheat to help with the color as well. It also lends the color, but is smooth with none of the acrid taste... works well in black IPAs amongst others styles.

For smoother flavor, add the roasted grains to your sparge.

Or as I do, keep 'em out of the boil all together by steeping them at 150F on the side, then add to the kettle after the boil, when the wort has chilled to 165F. This will pasteurize the black potion and prevent those cooked coffee flavors from boiling.

You can probably use a bit more than 5% Carafa III Special when using the steep/no boil method. Or as @jmark said, add some midnight wheat or chocolate wheat to add color (and flavor) depth. Malted wheat is huskless by nature, so it is "debittered."

Thanks for all the replies.

I ended up stumping for 10% Carafa 3 bit I only put half of that and did the other half as a cold steep which got added to the end of the boil.

The beer is now fermented and, perhaps unsurprisingly, it's as black as ink which is what I was shooting for. I've had a sample from the fermenter and it's not that roasty at all. Very little on the nose and similar taste. Will be interesting to see if it comes through more once it's bottled and carbonated etc.

Latest posts

Back