Oatmeal Stout Caprone Nero Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjornkri

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
1084 Irish Ale
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
31 days at 69F
Tasting Notes
Roasted, stouty maltiness in the forefront
This is adapted from Papazian's Barrel of Monkeys Oatmeal Stout.

2.3 kg 2 row Pale ale malt
900g Wheat malt
450g Caramel malt (120 L)
250g Chocolate malt
250g Patent malt
300g Flaked oats

Mashed at 67ºC for 60m

75 minute boil, East Kent Goldings all the way:
71g at 75m
14g at 30m
15g steeped at end of boil for 3m

Looks gorgeous, really stable head, lovely lacing. Very stouty nose: coffee, chocolate, a hint of liquorice. And flavour to match. I expected it to be more bitter than it is, but it all comes together into a well rounded, full bodied stout.

The 31 days in primary wasn't my choice, I had a two week holiday out of the country planned and I had meant to bottle this before leaving, but after 10 days the gravity was only down to 1.020. So I gave it a swirl and left it, bottled it as soon as I could after returning home. It definitely didn't hurt! Was very drinkable just 2 days after bottling - now it's been 2 weeks and it's just getting better.

As for the name: It's italian for 'Black Billy Goat' - Black Goat - Black Oat... Get it? Also, a 'billy goat' and 'oat' is the same word in Icelandic. I have family in both Iceland and Italy so I thought it was appropriate enough.

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9066.jpg

Coffee and chocolate are great but what brings on the licorice? I'm not a fan of licorice so I was hoping to tweak this and skip that part... Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hah! I'm honestly not sure. May be the malt, may be my water, may be the yeast... in any case there's just a hint of it I picked up in the background, and I personally think it's pleasant ;)

Latest posts

Back