Capper Broke While Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrsdws

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't think I was muscling on it, but m Red Baron wing capper broke on my second bottle of my small batch tonight. I had about 7 more bottles filled and ready to cap.

I poured them all back into a clean and sanitized carboy and put the cap on it.

Is this brew going to be alright until I get a new capper tomorrow?

Aside from likely adding additional oxygen and potentially contaminating the beer...you should be fine.

Really. It will likely be fine. Id be willing to bet you cant taste a difference (unless they are contaminated).

Another post about a wing capper breaking. Pick up the Super Agata bench capper. Adjusts for different bottle heights. Years of trouble free use.

Another post about a wing capper breaking. Pick up the Super Agata bench capper. Adjusts for different bottle heights. Years of trouble free use.

Flars, yes, this is the second post this week about a wing capper breaking. I like your answer in the earlier thread, because it was what I'd do in this situation. Might be a good time to repost that response. we can discuss what a good capper to buy, but when someone does a quick search here the night a capper breaks they should get this solution.

"You could try taking the bell off the capper and tapping the caps on with a hammer like in the old days."

Is there still priming sugar in it?...make sure it ferments out before you prime again...don't want bottle bombs.

Cheers...:mug:

It's a one gallon batch so I was using fizz drops. They did not go back into the carboy. I've got nothing to lose at this point so I'll try them again this afternoon when my new capper gets home.

Northern Brewer customer service rocks!!! I emailed them about the capper and they responded this morning and stated there was a known defective batch of these cappers that went out and they have been replacing them.

Not only are they replacing the capper, but they're replacing my one gallone ingredient kit and throwing in bottle caps and some Easy Clean!!!

Northern Brewer earns my continued business without question.

That's great! Good to hear some companies know how to take care of their customers and not just the high rollers too.

Definitely make sure your priming sugar ferments out before adding more, or just go ahead and cap but realize you'll likely lose some volume of CO2 (not sure how much, and it may not be noticeable...I'd probably add about 10% of the sugar I added the first time unless I was already shooting for 3 volumes of CO2, in which case I would be afraid of bottle bombs).

As far as the wing capper goes...I prefer them over a bench capper. It's much faster for me. I have read about them breaking, so I'd suggest having a bench capper on hand as backup.

Back