Capacity for Pressue Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will Smith

Reaction score
I'm wanting to up my brewing capacity for 2 kegs (40 litres).

I pressure ferment and therefore want a fermentersaurus / fermzilla.

Is the 35L capacity fermenter enough for 2 kegs (maybe a bit of a squeeze) or should i get the the 55L?

In my mind the extra headspace shouldn't be too much of an issue given fermenting under pressure means the oxygen will be driven out of the headspace.

Any advice? :)

I wasn't aware that the fermentasauras and/or fermzilla were available in a 35 liter size. But obviously, you can't make 40 liters of beer in a 35 liter fermenter.

Regarding headspace, IMO a good rule of thumb is for the total volume to be at least 1.3 times the batch size. So, for a 40 liter batch, that would be 52 liters.

The Spike CF10 easily handles 10 gallon batches (14 gallon capacity).
Brewers Hardware has a 15 gallon conical as well.
There are other makers that have conical models that can easily handle the 10 gallon batch size. Factor on another gallon of wort going in, then headspace, a 14 gallon model is a good choice.

BTW, I don't think in metric, hence using US gallon units. :p

The 55L would be the Kegland Fermzilla to get.

35L is from Keg King They suggest a fermenting 30L in it with 33L being very risky.

Back