Cant get to boiling temp...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree55Topz

Reaction score
So I have started to heat my wort to boiling, an hour and a half later it is sitting at 210F. Not fully boiling, some bubbles are popping up here and there but I have to start because I have somewhere to be at 5. So i start pitching my hops. I am doing a 6.5 gallon boil on a standard electric stove. Question is.. how will this effect the outcome of my beer? I am doing a 60 min boil.

So I have started to heat my wort to boiling, an hour and a half later it is sitting at 210F. Not fully boiling, some bubbles are popping up here and there but I have to start because I have somewhere to be at 5. So i start pitching my hops. I am doing a 6.5 gallon boil on a standard electric stove. Question is.. how will this effect the outcome of my beer? I am doing a 60 min boil.

210 won't be the end of the world as long as stays there. Only things I can think that might bite you are DMS (are you using any/much pilsner malt?) and if you are using tap water then you could still have some chlorine trapped in the water.

Time to save those pennies for a nice propane burner ;)

Looks like you need to drop a gallon off of your recipes if you're going to do them inside.

I also brew on an electric stovetop. I've had great success splitting the boil between 2 pots, if that's an option for you.

EDIT: You can also partially cover the pot with a lid to get a better boil going. Just be sure you got at least 20% or so still open to let the DMS precursors escape.

You could also insulate your pot / kettle - that would help retain some of the heat that is being lost to the outside, and should be enough to push you over the limit. Just get insulation that can handle the setup you have.

Back