Can't get spear out of german keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike86

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a german 50L Keg that has a normal looking sanke spear. I took that thin ring out and realized that the spear doesn't twist and remove like the other keggle I did. The only internet searches I can find deal with a different style german coupler/valve whatever you wanna call it.

Any ideas? I want to get this one out without cutting the top off. I was thinking of just trying to drill the middle out with a 1 3/8" step bit but I feel like that's not going to get me that far. Suggestions appreciated!

-Big Mike

Is it a "flachfitting" like this ?

Last edited by a moderator:
No it looks like a normal sanke but it doesnt seem like it twists at all. Theres not that little notch that lines up when you twist and lift the spear out of normal keg. Trying to get a picture up but apparently im an idiot and cant figure it out. But again, normal looking sanke minus it doesnt look like its threaded in there. Maybe its fixed and I need to just cut it out?

20170512_082518.jpg

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VL7wLEEajY[/ame]

Well daaaaang. I'll try this when I get home tonight. Reverse threaded, who woulda thought!?

Finally got it out. Banged on the inside lip until it started unthreading in the normal counterclockwise direction. Then it wouldnt lull out so i clamped a C clamp real hard to give a handle and pulled untill the spear came out. There was a tab in there that was holding it in. This was an Erdingsr 50L keg.

20170520_121844.jpg

The tab looks like its supposed to be there...It looks pretty brown like leftover beer/sugar locked it up...I've had a hard time getting open an old keg. A hot soak melts away the sugars and opens them right up

Not to mention that tab looks well below the keg and would have no effect on unscrewing it... that's what it seems like anyway

I believe the proper way to open these euro sankes is to unscrew the spear, then push the tab with a long thin screwdriver while the spear is partially free, and just the tab is holding it in.

The tab is a safety feature should someone unscrew a pressurized keg.

Sounds like brute force prevailed.

That information would have been useful 2 weeks ago! But thanks. No need now

Scored a free Warsteiner half-barrel from my local shop and got it open with little drama (thanks to youtube and this HBT post). In the youtube video the guy grinds off the "locking" tab on the spear, maybe similar to what was mentioned in this thread? I believe I read on HBT that it enables screwing/unscrewing the cap and spear without the need to remove the spear separately; Can anyone confirm before I grind it off? Thanks!

PS I tried the lineman's pliers from the YouTube video without success but found using Channel Locks, as in the HBT link, much easier to release the spear.

Just to answer my own question (and for ppl who end up in the same situation), here's another video showing that, yes, that tab allows you to easily remove the spear assembly so you can reuse the keg without the hassles. Harrassy as it's being used for water or sand (strongman training) but it clearly shows an "A" System keg and spear removal. Slainte!

Back