Can't get carboy clean.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turkeyshot

Reaction score
Over the weekend I managed to score to 5 gallon old glass carboys. They are both Crisa made in Mexico carboys. I know they are at least 20 years old.

The problem is they sat for a long time unused but dirty, pretty much at least twenty years. They were both kind of cloudy, but I managed to get them pretty clean and clear again.

One of the bottles though has a lot of hard water staining on the inside if you hold it up to the light you can see it, and I cannot get it to come off. I have tried OxyClean, Muriatic Acid, Vinegar, Star San and even swirling aquarium gravel around in it to try and scrub it off. The stains won't budge. So any suggestions?

At this point I will probably use them anyways. Because after all of those different treatments, I would find it hard to believe any nasties could survive all of those attempts at cleaning.

Acetone.

You can also try ice cubes and salt. Put in about 100 grams of salt and like 4 trays of ice cubes, let it sit for about 10 minutes then get to shaking and swirling.

I have tried some bleach just not overnight. That was one of the things I used at first to get the old crud out of the bottle.

At this point I will probably use them anyways. Because after all of those different treatments, I would find it hard to believe any nasties could survive all of those attempts at cleaning.

That's what I was thinking. See if fermenting beer cleans it up.

Well hopefully in a week or two I will have time to brew up some more and then I will find out.

Latest posts

Back