Cant figure out what I'm doing wrong with this pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drainpour

Reaction score
So I have a March pump (AC-4C-MD to be exact), I got it wired up to a extension cord working fine. Now that I want to hook it up to a switch I cant seem to figure it out. When plugged in the pump works opposite on the switch, when the switch is flipped to OFF its on and when its switched to ON it turns off. It also shorts out which ever socket I plug it into. I'm no electrician so forgive me if I'm it's an easy fix. Thanks!
The first Picture is of my rig.( I only have 1 pump wired so far)
Second picture is of the pump specs
Third is of my switch(it a weather proof switch box from Lowe's)
Fourth is of how it is currently wired
Let me know if you need to know anything else

20151217_230255.jpg

20151105_114203.jpg

20151217_230311.jpg

20151217_230507.jpg

Should both hot wires be on the switch, does the power pass through the switch?

The switch is wired incorrectly. This is a link to a diagram on how to wire a single pole switch. http://ask-the-electrician.com/singlepoleswitchdiagram.html

In the switch box, the neutrals get directly connected, the hots get connected to the switch, one on each end.

It's running in the "off" position now because the pump neutral and hot are directly connected to the feed neutral and hot under the lugs on the switch. It isn't turning the pump "off" when you turn the switch to the "on" position. What is happening is it is tripping the breaker. That is happening because when you turn the switch "on" it is connecting the hot directly to the neutral, which is fault (short circuit) and trips the breaker.

The switch is wired incorrectly. This is a link to a diagram on how to wire a single pole switch. http://ask-the-electrician.com/singlepoleswitchdiagram.html

In the switch box, the neutrals get directly connected, the hots get connected to the switch, one on each end.

It's running in the "off" position now because the pump neutral and hot are directly connected to the feed neutral and hot under the lugs on the switch. It isn't turning the pump "off" when you turn the switch to the "on" position. What is happening is it is tripping the breaker. That is happening because when you turn the switch "on" it is connecting the hot directly to the neutral, which is fault (short circuit) and trips the breaker.

Thats the full answer of what i was thinking!

Success! Now I feel like an idiot for wiring the other way thanks BlueHouse!
If I want to wire up the other pump could I use the same power cord for both? I was just going to buy another switch box for the other pump.

Latest posts

Back