Can't figure out how to nail an ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlager

Reaction score
One of the things I love so much about a nice ESB is a quality I can only describe as raisin like... Every time I try to brew a so called ESB, I end up with just an average pale ale, nothing impressive. Without going into the recipes I've been brewing, what grains really lend themselves to this rasin like flavor I enjoy so much?

Raisin notes often come from the darker crystal malts. Special B is probably the most extreme example, but that one isn't exactly used in English beers.

Yeast MIGHT also make the difference - both the strain you're using and the temperature you're fermenting at. I think you probably just need some darker crystal in the grist (use sparingly!) but what strain and ferm temp are you using?

I typically have used a white labs English ale yeast around 68 degrees, I may have been trying to get my beer to the darker colorni desire by using roasted grain rather than a darker crystal, that's a great suggestion. The darker crystal will lend more malty like flavors without roasting the darn thing up.

Good stuff.

I typically have used a white labs English ale yeast around 68 degrees, I may have been trying to get my beer to the darker colorni desire by using roasted grain rather than a darker crystal, that's a great suggestion. The darker crystal will lend more malty like flavors without roasting the darn thing up.

Good stuff.

Yes, a crystal of 120L or higher will really help give that toffee/raisiny flavor. Roasted grains really don't belong in an ESB.

One of the things I love so much about a nice ESB is a quality I can only describe as raisin like... Every time I try to brew a so called ESB, I end up with just an average pale ale, nothing impressive. Without going into the recipes I've been brewing, what grains really lend themselves to this rasin like flavor I enjoy so much?

I think you do need to supply some of your recipe information as well as the name of a commercial version that you enjoy to get some quality feedback here. Fuller's ESB is the quintessential version and is at its' heart a pretty simple beer. IMO a lot of American homebrewers try to over think and over complicate this style. A good base of quality UK pale malt, a little crystal malt and hop presence from the right UK varieties are the short list of necessities. Raisin-like flavor is not something that comes to my mind for an ESB although if you are looking for a specific grain a dark European crystal like Special-B or CaraAroma can produce some raisiny/dried fruit character.

raisin is definitely not what i think of when i think of esb. for 5 gallons, and this is up for individual interpretation, to get that flavor you want and still close enough to an esb:

9 lbs maris otter
.7 c120
1 carapils
.75 munich

My first and only ESB used Aromatic malt and C80 with Safale S-04 yeast. It was perfect IMHO and is a rebrew this week!

All fantastic suggestions... Now I know I've been doing it wrong. A couple of ESB's that I really enjoy are the Breckenridge ESB which is probably the most raisin / toffee like flavor, and I also really like the left hand sawtooth ale too.

I think what you are looking for are the esters produced by the yeast during fermentation, maybe a little dark grain contribution, but I think it is mainly the yeast that give the fruit notes you are seeking in your English ales.

Can you post your recipe? maybe we can make a couple changes in the recipe or process.

Try fermenting at 65 degrees, let it rise to 68 then up to 70 towards the end of fermentation

Here is one of the recipes I did for a 5 gallon batch:

13.5 lbs Maris otter
.5 lbs brown malt
.5 lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs crystal 80

3 oz Kent goldings @ 60
1 oz Kent goldings @ 10
Wlp002 (English ale) @ 68 F

I'm thinking maybe get rid of the brown malt and replace the crystal with 1 pound for 120?

Here is one of the recipes I did for a 5 gallon batch:

13.5 lbs Maris otter
.5 lbs brown malt
.5 lbs crystal 40
.5 lbs crystal 80

3 oz Kent goldings @ 60
1 oz Kent goldings @ 10
Wlp002 (English ale) @ 68 F

I'm thinking maybe get rid of the brown malt and replace the crystal with 1 pound for 120?

Getting rid of the brown malt is a good start. If it's a deeper color you're after try an ounce or so of chocolate malt instead. A full pound of 120L is way too much IMO, the dark crystals can be very aggressive. Drop the 80 crystal, up the 40 to a pound and add a 1/4 lb of 120. You can replace the deleted 1/2 lb of brown malt with another 1/2 lb of the pale malt if you like.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe it didn't turn out because your OG was probably over 1.070.

Back