Can't Clear Keg Clog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveafrank

Reaction score
I recently had a bad(dirty) transfer into my keg and now some hop material keeps clogging the beer out post. I tried manually removing the post, clearing any debris in the pick up tube and post and reassembling. But after repeating that 8 times, I still get clogging to the point where beer just won't flow out. The only thing I could think of was to lean the keg on its side for serving purposes. I'd rather not cut the dip tube since its only a 3 gallon keg.

Any other ideas? Thanks!

I would try connecting a ball lock QD to your gas line and shooting CO2 down the BEER/OUT post. Works pretty well for me, though sometimes it can reclog if you have a ton of sediment at the bottom

I would try connecting a ball lock QD to your gas line and shooting CO2 down the BEER/OUT post. Works pretty well for me, though sometimes it can reclog if you have a ton of sediment at the bottom

Won't the gas QD get stuck if I try to connect it to the beer out?

Can't say title 8 times fast.

I say order a spare dip tube, and cut it short.
This...this...this. I think they're pretty universal so one will do the trick.

This is the case, it will likely re-clog. I had done this once and it just kept re-clogging. Then I recalled I bought a keg with a cut dip tube, it's too short but not too short for this application. Saved the day.

So if you don't have a cut dip tube you can either cut the one you have. A very simple cut with nothing more than a hacksaw then re-order a new one that you won't cut OR you can transfer to another keg and leave the true behind. If you don't have another keg then the dip tube cutting is the way to go.

So if you don't have a cut dip tube you can either cut the one you have. A very simple cut with nothing more than a hacksaw then re-order a new one that you won't cut OR you can transfer to another keg and leave the true behind. If you don't have another keg then the dip tube cutting is the way to go.

Ahh, didn't know I could use a hacksaw for that. Was hoping I didn't have to go out and buy a new tool for a one time modification.

Ahh, didn't know I could use a hacksaw for that. Was hoping I didn't have to go out and buy a new tool for a one time modification.

My hacksaw blade was broken so I used my jigsaw (handheld) and it was done in under 15 seconds.

What I have done is temporarily modify the keg and disconnect when I have issues like this. I remove the poppet from the liquid post, and also remove the poppet in the disconnect (the plastic poppet and spring once you unscrew the top from the disconnect).

Make sure everything is depressurized, then connect and transfer. I would recommend transferring to a new keg, hopefully leaving most of the debri in the old keg. You can serve this way, but be very careful - if you remove the disconnect while it is pressurized, it will shoot a stream of beer out (I know this from personal experience).

This sounds a bit crazy, but it works...

Swap the tubings if your connectors are mfl, or just cut and swap. Now the gas connector is on the liquid line and vice versa. Connect to the keg. Now put the keg UPSIDE DOWN in the kegerator/keezer and cold crash. Begin a dance in celebration of the Hop Gods while swinging a pair of your wife's underwear above your head and riding a broom like a horse. Scream "Chicka Chicka Walrus Jubblies" the whole time. Continue for about 7 minutes. Make sure your neighbors can see you through a window or it won't work. Chances improve if you post pics in this thread. Then drop everything and go to bed for the night without saying another word.

Everything should fall below the height of the old gas tube (which is now the liquid side) in a couple days. Nice clear pours without tons of hop debris to spoil the fun. The tube is short enough that it shouldn't clog either, just in case.

Or just add some gelatin to the keg and let it sit a few days without trying for a pour. Whichever you find easier...

Back