Canning wort - lots of threads, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopirV900

Reaction score
Hi all: I've read many of the threads RE: Canning wort for starters. I like this idea a ton, but have a problem...

I have these great 1L polypropylene square containers from Nalgene (lab at work ordered a ton and couldn't use them all, so I took 6 home). My eyes are bigger than my pressure cooker though: my Fagor cooker I use for making slants will hold one jar, but only just- no room for a trivet to keep the bottom of the container off the hot base. PP is autoclavable, so here are my questions:

Can I prep the wort in the pressure cooker and process it to kill off any spores (pouring it into the jars right out of the cooker, (the jars have been soaking in bleach for 20 mins))?

Meh. It might work fine, but it sort of defeats the purpose of autoclaving. I'd be more worried about picking up junk from the air during pouring than about the spores. You could always test it. Make a couple of slants this way and leave them out at room temperature for a couple of months to see what shows up. I tried this with plates a few years back and ended up with fuzzy green stuff everywhere. Then again, could just be my location.

I guess it depends on how long you are storing it for, when I am not sure of the sanitation when I am canning wort or priming solution, I just throw it in the fridge and use it quick!

Back