Canning all grain starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody s

Reaction score
I am thinking about canning some starter wort this weekend and I have 5 lbs of 2 row and will be using a mash and boil system (basically a BIAB).
How much starter can I make with 5 lbs?

Thanks

Really depends on your brewhouse efficiency, but you should be able to fill 12 qt jars and 12 pint jars, more or less.

And since my canner only holds 7 jars at a time can I put the wort in cans even though they may sit around for a couple hours before going into the pressure canner

And since my canner only holds 7 jars at a time can I put the wort in cans even though they may sit around for a couple hours before going into the pressure canner

Yes
Usually takes me 3 cycles to do a batch. Ends up taking most of the day between heating/cooling of the cycles.

About once a year I brew a batch of wort for canning. I use 20lbs of two row and end up with around 6 gallons of 1.070 wort. Run direct from the mash tun into half gallon jars. Then pressure can. When I need to make a starter, I use equal parts water and wort for a sizable starter of 1.035. Note, I use larger starters as I typically brew 15 gallon batches.

I have found this to be a very economical and time cutting method. YMMV.

I'm thinking of doing high grav starters and diluting to 37-40 GU's. I have a water filter with a UV light ,but 400ppm alkalinity, and loads of Ca. Do you think I could use this water?

Latest posts

Back