Canker Sores

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm ready to jump off of my balcony of my apartment because I can't take this pain anymore. I broke a tooth at work a while back and I just now had a root canal done on it exactly a week ago. That night when the novocaine wore off, I felt 4 canker sores around on that side of my mouth (2 on top and 2 on bottom). I assumed it was just from the dentist working in my mouth for a few hours. I normally get them if I eat sour candy and they don't normally last this long. It's been a week today and they are still so sore. I can't eat or talk without pain. I'm used to only having one canker sore occasionally, not 4. I'm going on vacation this weekend and I really don't want this to ruin it. I am calling the dentist in the morning.

I have been rinsing with salt water every night before bed and taking some vitamin b12 in the mornings, and I have some anbesol(?) to numb it. Any other suggestions of ways I can get these to go away?

I think the old fashion remedy is talcum powder, don't quote me on this as I a going on an eight year old's memory.
Take a little on tip of finger or qtip and apply to soar.

Alum (you can get it where the spices are.

Put it on before you go to bed. Do not drink after you apply it.

Warning: This will be painful. But my wife and I and all our friends use it. If they are small they should be gone by morning. If they are bigger then half the size by morning and gone the next day.

Again, its painful for about 10-20 sec. but goes away. It is also sour...its used in pickleing.

Warning: This will be painful. But my wife and I and all our friends use it. If they are small they should be gone by morning. If they are bigger then half the size by morning and gone the next day.

Again, its painful for about 10-20 sec. but goes away. It is also sour...its used in pickleing.

Alum that's right talcum would not be good. I may be bad doctor advice after a sixer.

Thank you, I haven't tried that yet!

Some things that have worked for a family member who gets them especially after getting a sunburn.

L-Lysine - Taken internally will help kill off in-mouth cold sores
letting a piece of an asprin dissolve on the sore helps too.

Sounds more like yours are due to cuts in your mouth rather than cold sores so the lysine approach may not be as effective.

I had a few when I was very young. We used Alum. Doesn't taste good, but much better than the pain.

My wife used to get them fairly often, and as far as we could tell they were triggered by stress for her. She hasn't had them for a little while now, and I think it's due to leaving her stressful job.

You can also apply honey directly to the sores. It has natural anti- bacterial properties.

+1 @DrunkleJon on the L-Lysine for treating lesions. So easy, so effective.

A common prescription medication for cold sores is Valtrex. It works best at the onset, nips them in the bud.

I get them too, but they're triggered by salt. Maybe rinsing with the salt is exacerbating the problem?

My grandma always called them 'lie bumps.' If you got one and complained about it, she would just tell you to stop telling so many lies.

Back