Cane's, Zaxby's, and Guthrie's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
For folks in the Southeast, you have probably have heard of at least one of these fast food chains. They all specialize in chicken fingers and the two of them (Cane's and Guthrie's) have that as their only menu option. Throw that together with some cole slaw, crinkle cut fries, and some special sauce (oddly similar between all) and you've got the ""world famous" offering from each of them.

I was reading somewhere that the founders of Cane's and Zaxby's worked a Guthrie's and stole the secret sauce recipe and have started their own very succesful chains. So it ends up if you live in the South and are near a college there is probably one of these near you.
Louisiana, Mississippi: Cane's
Alabama: Guthrie's
Georgia: Zaxby's

Anyone else eaten at any of these places? I have been to Cane's (too much) and Zaxby's (once). So far Cane's has won hands down.

I've only been to Guthrie's and Zaxby's. Both staples in college. Zaxby's got my vote when I wanted variety - but Guthrie's sauce was clearly head and shoulders better than Zaxby's. To me they were styled similarly, but I could pick Guthrie's out blind anyday. The cole slaw was better too, and the fries as I recall. I didn't really put them in the same category when deciding what to eat, despite both being 'chicken places'. When I wanted Guthrie's there was nothing for it! Now you've got me homesick! Or homehungry. I'm a UF alum - so in my case it was northern Florida. Either way though, good meals at both.

Guthrie's was started in Athen's, GA at UGA and then spread to other college towns ,Auburn, Gainsville, Statesboro, and I think a couple of other places. The Owners didn't want to franchise, they just wanted to keep it specialized to the "college" experience. Well, the guys worked at the UGA location, took the recipes and started their own restaurants and ran The originals out of business. I was happy to have the flavors of Guthrie's outside of Athens but I didn't want it at the expense of the original. If they'd had half a bit of dignity, they would have stayed OUT of the towns where a Guthrie's was. Oh well... so much for integrity. Zaxby's doesn't even give credit to Guthrie's but play's it like it was all their idea and recipes they came up with on the basketball court one afternoon.

I've had Guthries in my veins since 1998, same with Cane's. Went to school in Tuscaloosa and my roommate was from Slidell so I spent a good bit of time in Baton Rouge. Cane's and Guthrie's are about neck-and-neck, both way ahead of Zaxby's fingers.

But Zaxby's has them beat in the variety department. I am a huge fan of their salads and the cajun club sandwich.

V.I.N.CENT said:
Guthrie's was started in Athen's, GA at UGA and then spread to other college towns ,Auburn, Gainsville, Statesboro, and I think a couple of other places. The Owners didn't want to franchise, they just wanted to keep it specialized to the "college" experience. Well, the guys worked at the UGA location, took the recipes and started their own restaurants and ran The originals out of business. I was happy to have the flavors of Guthrie's outside of Athens but I didn't want it at the expense of the original. If they'd had half a bit of dignity, they would have stayed OUT of the towns where a Guthrie's was. Oh well... so much for integrity. Zaxby's doesn't even give credit to Guthrie's but play's it like it was all their idea and recipes they came up with on the basketball court one afternoon.

Guthrie's actually started in Haleyville, AL with the second opening in Auburn (the first with only chicken fingers on the menu), the third was opened in Athens. From what I can tell Zaxby's and Cane's have stayed out of Alabama, leaving Guthrie's to do business there.

Want to know what's in the special sauce? I used to work at Jim Bobs in Auburn, Al... way better chicken fingers, but the special sause is the same as all these places, and listen, it's not that amazing of a recipe, anyone could think of it. I used to mix up huge buckets of the special sauce when I was in high school:

My proportions might be a bit off, but they are close:

2 or 3 gals of ketchup, 2 or 3 gals of mayo, a bunch of worcestershire sauce, I think one big container, was probably a liter or 2. Then a bunch of salt, a bunch of pepper, mix it up and you have a huge bucket of "special sauce" I couldn't eat the stuff after mixing it up all the time, I stuck with BBQ sauce which was way better anyway being mustard based and all.

seefresh said:
Want to know what's in the special sauce? I used to work at Jim Bobs in Auburn, Al... way better chicken fingers, but the special sause is the same as all these places, and listen, it's not that amazing of a recipe, anyone could think of it. I used to mix up huge buckets of the special sauce when I was in high school:

My proportions might be a bit off, but they are close:

2 or 3 gals of ketchup, 2 or 3 gals of mayo, a bunch of worcestershire sauce, I think one big container, was probably a liter or 2. Then a bunch of salt, a bunch of pepper, mix it up and you have a huge bucket of "special sauce" I couldn't eat the stuff after mixing it up all the time, I stuck with BBQ sauce which was way better anyway being mustard based and all.

That is pretty much it, so I've heard. I have seen the recipe with garlic salt too. I wouldn't want to make it at home...that much mayo could kill a man. I'll have a little when I am out, pretty damn good with hot chicken fingers.

I'm sure you can add a hint of this or that and make it "your own." I agree, I loved it before I started working there. Made me want to gag mixing up the bucket, then I had to sit around for over an hour squirting it into little cups for individual servings. I will never work in a kitchen again... ever. Thanks for starting this thread and bringing back HORRIBLE memories! ;)

Guthrie's actually started in Haleyville, AL with the second opening in Auburn (the first with only chicken fingers on the menu), the third was opened in Athens. From what I can tell Zaxby's and Cane's have stayed out of Alabama, leaving Guthrie's to do business there.

I know they have Cane's here in Texas but I'm not sure about Alabama. Unfortunately, I CAN personally verify that Zaxby's are all over the place in Alabama now, and Guthrie's are the ones that have died down. Guthrie's sauce is absolutely addicting, and I dip everything from the fingers, fries and even toast in it! Living in Texas now though, I definitely have some serious cravings for "THE sauce". Luckily I have found a perfect copycat recipe... go to this link: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/77/Guthries_Dipping_Sauce47873.shtml. Enjoy folks! Oh and WAR EAGLE!!! ;o)

They have canes in TX and in OK. There is also a place called Slim Chickens, much like canes. I greatly prefer canes.

On a side note, I've found recipes for the sauce and I've made it before. I love the stuff, especially on burgers and on pork or grilled chicken.

Back