Candy cane porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyjmc

Reaction score
Here is a local brewery that has an incredible candy cane porter and I was wondering when the can't canes might be introduced and at what quantities?

Most likely they don't use actual candy canes. They probably use mint or mint extract. In my mint chocolate porter I use 0.25 tbs (3.7ml) of extract at bottling in a 5 gallon (19L) batch. Gives a nice mild taste.

Probably something like this and would guess as to no or little to no late hop additions

ForumRunner_20131114_215333.jpg

if you were using actual candy canes, what size, how many and when for a pretty robust peppermint flavor?
i might just throw a bunch into my simple porter boil tomorrow for ****s and giggles.
good or bad, it will be consumed.

my porter recipe is very simple and looks like this:

6# US 2 Row
1# Crystal 60
1# Chocolate
.25# German Carafe III
1oz. N. Brewer (8.6% AA, either FWH or 90m - not sure yet)
-No Late Hop Addition
1# Molasses (15m)
-i know thats probably a bit, but i always use 1# in my porters. there's something about it that i really enjoy.
Candy Canes (10m - not sure how many yet)
Safbrew S33 Yeast

agreed would like to know. I crushed 10 candy canes and added them to a stout recently and i could very much smell the peppermint as I was adding the yeast.

How did these 2 beers turn out? We're doing this next weekend, trying to decide how many candy canes to use..

Back