Candy apple wine recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewtouron

Reaction score
None have a good recipe for a candy apple wine? I saw it on line but can't find a good recipe. Thanks

I was looking for the same thing and I found this recipe. Hope to start it real soon but with frozen apples I have in the freezer.

Here it is:

4 lbs. Carmelized Sugar
1 lb. Granulated Sugar
1/2 C Brown Sugar
2 Tblsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
7 tsp. Acid Blend
1 1/4 tsp. Tannin
2 1/2 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
2 Campden Tablets
5 Gallons of apple juice

The best way to get the carmelized sugar into the must is to heat 3/4 of a gallon of the juice to just about boiling and slowly add the carmel. Because of the 200 degree difference in temperature, the carmel will instantly boil the juice on the surface. It is a two person job. One slowly pours while the other stirs like mad. Once it has adjusted to room temp. add it to the rest of the must. My wife and I have made this wine the past three years and have tweeked the recipe each time. This year we used fresh apples, where in years past we have used juice and have added other spices such as cloves or cinnomon sticks instead of ground. It is a work in progress. Enjoy and be creative.

To carmelize the sugar:

I usually go for broke and add the whole 4 lbs of regular granulated sugar to a stainless steel pot and slowly heat it until it begins to brown. You must stir it constantly, I find a wooden spatula works best for this, or it will burn before you even know it. As the sugar begins to brown, keep working until it all melts. Then move fast by adding it to the heated juice so that the carmel does not either burn or solidify. It is the same way as when you make candy, if anyone has done that.

Thanks. I started a gallon of it last night. Sort of used your recipe and a couple other ones. Should come out to about 13%-14%. I'll let you know how it turns out. Ill put pics up of it on my fb page later tonight. (touronvineyards)

Put a batch of this in... used a pack of champagne yeast, hope that is ok in it... i saw no yeast in the recipe..... but every other recipe i saw for anything apple had some kind of yeast in it.....

Back