Candi Syrup Mixing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagojake9

Reaction score
Brewing a Belgian Quad. Recipe calls for 2 lbs of D-180. Homebrew store didn't have D-180 in stock. Employee sold my dad 1 lb. D-90 and 1 lb. D-240. Does this sound right? Is it wise to mix two different Ds?

Brewing a Belgian Quad. Recipe calls for 2 lbs of D-180. Homebrew store didn't have D-180 in stock. Employee sold my dad 1 lb. D-90 and 1 lb. D-240. Does this sound right? Is it wise to mix two different Ds?
The average color would be D-165 after blending, so a bit lighter than D-180. I would go ahead. Depending on the overall recipe color, it might not be too noticable a change.

I used d240 in a stout ... I wouldn't even use it again for that. I'd trade it back in for another d90.

I don't see a problem mixing 2 different sugars - brewers do it all the time! Don't get too hung up on color - the flavor will be what matters here. It might lead to increased complexity, or it could be a hot mess. I say sample the sugars beforehand to get an idea.

You can definitely mix, but keep in mind they both impart different flavors than 180 and will not be the same, except approximating color.

I wont do it. These sugars are not about color! They are about flavor! a 240 would be probably too intense flavor wise compared with 180. What I am saying is that you'd get extra flavors you didn't have in 180.

Could work but the flavor profile would be different, I'd add noticeable different.

I would not mix the two since as others pointed out, they have different flavors. The FAQ section of Candi Syrup addresses this question....http://www.candisyrup.com/faq.html

"Can two of your syrups be mixed to approximate the flavors of a third?
No. The dilution of D-180 with Simplicity for instance will not equal the flavor of D-90, (even though it may result in the same color contribution). Each of our syrups is made uniquely to style and has a unique flavor profile."

This is a good link to keep handy...http://www.candisyrup.com/

This isn't math...you can't combined those two to arrive at the right "D". as noted above...those syrups are about flavors more than color.

the process of making candy syrup involved controlled heating. at the temp of the sugar syrup increases the sugars caramelize. While the color does change, so does flavor. Different flavors are developed as the temperatures change. 90, 180 and 240 are all going to have flavor differences. maybe subtle but still different.

If you don't have mayo you simply cannot mix ketchup and mustard and expect the same result.

Latest posts

Back