Can your kettle be too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocotaco

Reaction score
I'm finally going to get a new kettle. I usually do 2.5-3 gallon batches because I just can't drink enough beer (well, I CAN, but I shouldn't) to do 5-gallon batches.

But I was thinking about getting a 10-gallon kettle instead of an 8-gallon, in case I want to move up to 5-gallon batches in the future. Will a 10-gallon kettle be too large for making 2.5-gallon batches?

I don't think so. I do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle. My only issue is that half of my 50' chiller is above the liquid level in the kettle. It still functions well, though.

I would recommend the 10 gallon kettle as it gives you more room in case you want to a larger batch from time to time.

Well, an 8 gallon kettle will allow you to do a full 5 gallon boil. Personally, I would just stick with that and invest cash elsewhere if you know that your pre-boil volume is 7 gallons or less. Someone may disagree but I don't think it's a terrible opinion to have. The cash can be used elsewhere.

However, if you do big beers then having that extra 2 gallons of space wouldn't be a bad idea. I just got a 15 gallon and intend on doing 5 and 10 gallon batches depending upon the beer. I've yet to do a full 5 gallon boil though because my current pot is only 5 gallons. I've been doing 3.5 gallon boils and topping off (extract).

The 10-gallon pot is only 30 bucks more than the 8-gallon. 199 vs 169 (MegaPot 1.2 from NB).

As long as it will work well for smaller batches, I am leaning towards it - because I hope to have a lot of homebrews ahead of me and I want the pot to pretty much last me the rest of my life.

The only time you would run into a problem is if you have a thermometer installed and where its placement is.

I have a 15g Blichmann and I do 5g batches. Unfortunately the temp probe is at about the 6g mark, so when it's boiling down, it uncovers the probe. No big deal while boiling, of course, but I recirc through a CFC to cool, and it would be nice if I could use the therm to keep track of the temp instead of sticking a hand held in there.

Of course, if you're going to put your own it, you can put it low enough.

The only time you would run into a problem is if you have a thermometer installed and where its placement is.

I have a 15g Blichmann and I do 5g batches. Unfortunately the temp probe is at about the 6g mark, so when it's boiling down, it uncovers the probe. No big deal while boiling, of course, but I recirc through a CFC to cool, and it would be nice if I could use the therm to keep track of the temp instead of sticking a hand held in there.

Of course, if you're going to put your own it, you can put it low enough.

I don't think I am going to get a thermometer installed... I just don't really see the utility of it for the way I brew and chill. I currently use an ice bath which would render the thermometer useless. When I get a chiller it's going to be plate or counterflow (so I can use a hopback... I know I have a big wishlist of brewing equipment) then I would probably just move to an inline thermometer.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I think I am going to spring for the 10 gallon.

I agree you can do 2.5 gallon batches in 10gallon pot... but IMO that's a bit big.
I would stick with a 5gallon pot or so for the small batches, and if you plan to do bigger ones, go to the 8 or 10. I do 5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon, and have no problems. I've only once had a boil over, and that was to my own impatience.
A 10 gallon would have more room, and to spare even if you want to do extra long boils.
It doesn't hurt to have a couple pots around. I have a 16qt, 30qt, 33qt and about 20gallon ones and I use them all for different sizes and utilizations.

Back