Can you use too much/many fining agents?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avocet

Reaction score
I like the look of a nice clear beer. I have been kegging about 4-5 months now---I generally use Irish Moss or Whilfloc at end of boil (or even both), then after a 10 day primary I will add isinglass to my secondary as soon as I'm done filling up the carboy. If I'm dry hopping (and I generally use loose full leaf hops for dry hopping) I will even use a half-strength dose of Knox gelatin at cold crash (I usually shoot for 8-10 days in both primary and secondary and 3 days more for cold crash). I'm not picking up any odd flavors-and I am getting a damned clear product especially after keg sets day or two after I tap it.

Is this all ok to do? Sure looks good!

If you haven't noticed any loss of flavor at all, and are happy with the finished beer, then it's absolutely fine.

I don't use finings, except for whirlfloc, because I want a vegetarian friendly beer. But if you aren't concerned about that, then I think it's fine.

Well I've always had a taste for fish bladders.....honestly I've have been very happy with my semi-clear ales and lagers---but I just get a big kick out of drawing a cold glass of something that was just a bag of crushed grain not even 3 weeks ago--and seeing every scar on my palm and fingers as I lovingly gaze through that sweaty glass ---and say to myself "Adolph Coors you can kiss my........"

Thank you for the insight Yooper!

Back