can you tell my hop plants apart?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9am53

Reaction score
OK, to make a short story long, last month during our warmest march ever I planted my hop rhizomes into their new home. Due to unforseen mold growth and other mishaps I lost the labels on my rhizomes...so I don't know which is which! I remember last year (my first year with them) my cascade were very vigorous growers, and my nugget were much slower, so I assumed the rhizome that grew all the shoots over the winter in my fridge was cascade, and the other was nugget. Now it seems the one I thought was nugget is growing better and faster than my cascade! I don't have pics now, but if I post some later when I get home is there anyway to tell hop plants apart based on the shoots coming out of the ground? I remember that the nugget had rounder tighter cones than the cascade too, but I am a couple months off before I get any of those.

I have both Nugget and Cascade growing, if you have pictures of the leaves of both plants I will compare to my plants and let you know if I can tell.

Everything I've read here is that there is no way to identify one type from another with the plant. May have to wait to harvest this year and do a taste test, then label for next year. :mug:

I can tell my Centennial apart from the the other 8 varieties that I grow. It's the only one with 5 point leaves. All the others have 3. Nope good luck to you.

beerloaf

First off, go flyers go!

Second off, here are some pics. I haven't mastered the focussing on the playbook, so sorry about the blurriness. Here is a picture of what I think to be cascade:

IMG_00000010.jpg

IMG_00000011.jpg

And here is what I believe to be nugget. I do recall the more compact leaf structure on the first few bines, I am just unsure since it is growing faster than the cascade

IMG_00000013.jpg

IMG_00000014.jpg

I can tell my Centennial apart from the the other 8 varieties that I grow. It's the only one with 5 point leaves. All the others have 3. [...]

When I read this I had to go take a look at my own hops.

I have Centennial, Chinook, Cascade and Fuggles, a total of 15 second year plants.

They're growing like mad right now, lots of leaves to look at, from tiny to almost five inches across. And all four strains have as many 3 point leaves as 5 point leaves, including the Centennial.

Gun to my head, at this phase of growth, there's absolutely nothing I see that I could key on to pick any of them out of a lineup...

Cheers!

Cone colors vary too. Cascade is a bright green. Centennial is a bit more golden, etc.

Doesn't help you know though.

I don't have nuggets but my cascade is a jungle already, I can try to take a few pics when I get home so you can compare later.

Give them a few weeks. That should get the growth needed to accurately compare the leaves.

+1. Let the plants mature a bit before trying to figure this out. Also, if my hop yard is any indication, the Cascades will be the ones that grow taller, faster and more robust than any other variety. YMMV.

+1. Let the plants mature a bit before trying to figure this out. Also, if my hop yard is any indication, the Cascades will be the ones that grow taller, faster and more robust than any other variety. YMMV.

That was my experience last year, this is why I am wondering since what I thought was cascade is progressing slowly.

yes too hard to tell with the current size of your hop plants. Here are pics of mine for when yours get bigger, but i suspect you will have to wait until harvest time to crush a cone and smell the oils to finally be able to tell which is which.

NUGGET
Nugget_closeup.jpg

CASCADE
Cascade_Closeup.jpg

Back