Can using a refrigerator as a fermentation chamber affect the release of CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveareno

Reaction score
Beginner here. On my second batch. It's hot where I live so I converted a refrigerator into my fermentation chamber so that I can maintain the proper temperature. My concern is since a refrigerator is pretty much a sealed box will it slow down the release of CO2? I'm asking because when I check on it I don't see a bubble until like 45 seconds after I open the door but then it bubbles about once every 15 seconds if I leave the door open. I've checked it about four times now with about 12 hours in between and it acts the same every time. I brewed it four days ago.

Won't inhibit the CO2 dissipation at all. The CO2 will find its way out, as a fridge isn't a perfectly sealed enclosure. You probably notice more activity due to small vibrations from the door opening and expansion from the slight warming when you leave it open.

Yeah you will smell the potency of co2 . It's no big deal for the times I've used freezer . I just opened the door to check periodically which let the gas escape . But like Max said it's all good .

when I check on it I don't see a bubble until like 45 seconds after I open the door but then it bubbles about once every 15 seconds if I leave the door open. I've checked it about four times now with about 12 hours in between and it acts the same every time. I brewed it four days ago.

I've noticed the same thing, but I think I have an explanation. When you open the door, especially if you do it quickly, you momentarily lower the air pressure in the freezer, which pulls a few extra bubbles out through the airlock. Then it takes a few seconds for the pressure to build back up enough to bubble again. Try opening the freezer door very slowly and very quickly, see if it makes a difference. For me it did.

In either case, it's nothing to worry about.

I used to ferment in a chest freezer with no issues. Put a light and put your phone or tablet in there to record what it’s doing when you aren’t messing with it.

I've noticed the same thing, but I think I have an explanation. When you open the door, especially if you do it quickly, you momentarily lower the air pressure in the freezer, which pulls a few extra bubbles out through the airlock. Then it takes a few seconds for the pressure to build back up enough to bubble again. Try opening the freezer door very slowly and very quickly, see if it makes a difference. For me it did.

In either case, it's nothing to worry about.

Same thing happens in my garage. I'm fermenting in a conical and I run a tube from the blowoff to a jar that bubbles. When I go out in the garage to check it, when I open the door to the garage it creates a momentary low pressure, which sucks the CO2 out into the jar. I go check it and it's not bubbling! But wait a bit and it'll start up again.

Back