Can someone please tell me how to install this weldless ball valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
I got this exact model. As you can see it has one o-ring and one washer.

2143.jpg

Does the o-ring sit against the inside of the pot and the valve sit directly against the outside of the pot?

Should I get another washer for the outside?

Also what about the nipple going into the valve? How do you tighten it to prevent leaks? I'm thinking tighten a pvc fitting over one end which will cause the other end to tighten at the valve?

Looks to me like you're missing a lock nut.

Washer & coupling go inside the kettle, while o-ring & nut get placed outside.

Who's the supplier?

That's what I would guess, o-ring/nut on the outside. I feel like it may leak though, with just the metal of the valve against the metal of the pot. Is that what the lock nut would help with?

Yeah I'll go to home depot and see if they have anything. I have a feeling that washer is hard to find but the nut- maybe. That pic is from a website and that's how they come. People say they don't leak but I wonder how it doesn't leak between the washer and the coupling. Liquid could easily go through there and along the nipple to the outside of the pot.

I bought it from learn to brew.

Yeah I'll go to home depot and see if they have anything. I have a feeling that washer is hard to find but the nut- maybe. That pic is from a website and that's how they come. People say they don't leak but I wonder how it doesn't leak between the washer and the coupling. Liquid could easily go through there and along the nipple to the outside of the pot.

The key to that bulkhead isn't the washer - it's the lock nut. It has a groove on one side to capture the o-ring. And you won't find that at Home Depot or Lowes or Ace Hardware.

I'd contact the seller and get them to mail you the missing locknut...

Cheers!

Coupling, washer and o-ring all go on the inside of the kettle

You won't find that locknut at HD, Lowe's, or Ace. Don't even waste your time.

Is the washer welded to the coupler? If it is it should work fine, no need for a washer on the outside of the keggle.

I got this exact bulkhead from keg cowboy. And the more I looked at it the more I thought I was missing a piece also. They did not supply the extra O-ring. So I bought an extra O-ring and installed on my kettle with O-rings on both sides and the washer inside the kettle. I used it twice now..... No leaks

looks like mine. I put the o-ring on the inside of the kettle then the washer then the coupler. Just hand tighten and don't overdo it. Too tight is just as bad as too lose. Mind does not leak. I think there are plenty of valid configurations for putting together a weldless valve.

looks like mine. I put the o-ring on the inside of the kettle then the washer then the coupler. Just hand tighten and don't overdo it. Too tight is just as bad as too lose. Mind does not leak. I think there are plenty of valid configurations for putting together a weldless valve.

So you're actually supposed to screw this together with bare hands and no pliers even?

Use pliers etc. to get the valve attached to the hose barb but when you install in the kettle definitely just hand tighten. Get it nice and firm but you don't want to crush the o ring and cause it to deform and squish out of where it needs to be. Perhaps with various lock nuts etc you could avoid this but with what you have do it that way.

Try it out and fill your kettle with some water and let sit for an hour and see how it works. Just tighten for it to be firm- and you can easily do that by hand.

Back