Can some one just tell me what this means?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mufflerbearing

Reaction score
This is the first time I am using bs and I do not know how to mash in and sparge. Can someone please tell me what this means and what I need to do exactly? I am ready to heat my mash water now but I am stuck. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401922219.209983.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

Now, I am also new at all grain brewing but heat 34 quarts of water to 166.8F. This is your strike water, the grains will cool the water to 156F. You will mash for 45 minutes, then heat your sparge water to 168F and sparge. Honestly, I don't know what a 2 step sparge is. Sorry if I wasn't too helpful. Good luck.

I have 8.5 gallons heating to 168 now. As for step 2. Do I let the wort drain then add the sparge water? What is a 2 min rise?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew and I don't care for the new format so much.

I use sparge pal usually but I wanted to try beer smith and this is my 1st 10 gallon batch. It has me kinda nervous.

The 2 min rise is the assumed time it will take to get your full mash to raise to the higher temp (after you add the 168 water)

Sent from myPhone

Got it. So add 34 qts and mash for 47 min. Then drain the wort to boil keggle. Next add sparge water let rest then drain to boil. Right?

Yes, drain the wort into the kettle after you vorlauf. These are your first runnings. Then you add your sparge water, stir the grain bed, vorlauf, and then drain. These are your second runnings. I have no idea what a 2 minute rise is haha. Make sure your boil off rate is entered correctly into BeerSmith other wise you could end up with too much or not enough wort in the end.

Got it. So add 34 qts and mash for 47 min. Then drain the wort to boil keggle. Next add sparge water let rest then drain to boil. Right?

Yep that is correct. Make sure you have enough water after your sparge to hit your pre-boil wort volume. If you not you will need to do a second sparge. This bit me on my first all grain batch.

Yes technically mash 47 minutes.

Drain.

Add sparge water. There will be a 2 minute rise here too, but idk if you were even planning on timing this portion.

The 2 minute rise can be adjusted if you find yours is different. But honestly I don't bother with figuring rise. I set mine to 0

Sent from myPhone

Ok we are good. But my pre boil sg is a little low. I will just boil off more and that should fix it right?

That will change your ibu tho so that is up to you. I usually just stop and accept that it'll be a little lower gravity. But you def could boil longer. Also means you'll have less brew tho...

Sent from myPhone

This sucks. I did what it said and ended up with with too much wort in the kettle. My sg should have been 1.51 it was 1.46 I am an hour in and my sg is 1.51 now. I just added my 30 min hops and will add my flame out hops in 15. So this will be a 90is min boil.

Actually, two step sparge is add the 6.4 qts before you drain, mix well, then drain.
After draining, measure how much you gathered on the first running and calculate how much more is needed for your pre-boil volume (you have to know your boil-off).
Add whatever water is needed for your second running and mix well then drain.
BS has predicted that you will need 28.88 qts to hit your pre-boil volume.
Keep in mind this is based on someone else's recipe and equipment profile, so your results may be different.

Thanks for the help guys. Rdwhahb right?

Back