Can Saison Yeast (3711, Belle) Eat Maltodextrin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I did a batch of Belgian export stout with BS that has dried out to 1.004 from 1.073ish. I was hoping it'd stay a little fuller in body, so I've thought about adding a little MD to the priming solution. One guy in the Belle Saison thread cautioned that BS might just eat the MD and cause bombs. I know this yeast doesn't care about mashing at 160, but can it really eat straight MD?

3711 has always been a beast, and I think many have had the same question in the past, myself included.

I've never had bottle bombs from it, but it's always settled out at a very low gravity for me, like 1.005 and under. One time I even got a 1.000 reading.

Not sure about your beer, but this yeast has always given me a fuller mouthfeel than the gravity reading would indicate. Apparently this yeast produces some sort of stuff (forget the name, started with g I think) that gives the impression of more body without affecting gravity readings.

Someone should do a 1 gallon test batch with 3711 and an Maltodextrin-powder-only wort. Test the SG and FG, see if it lowers to any significant degree.

OP I nominate you.

Someone should do a 1 gallon test batch with 3711 and an Maltodextrin-powder-only wort. Test the SG and FG, see if it lowers to any significant degree.

OP I nominate you.

I thought about doing that. I may order an extra amount for just this purpose to be sure, but I'd love to learn if someone else has done similar or the guys who know more than I do about the microbiology of the matter have a definitive answer. If I do end up experimenting, I'll certainly share my results here.

its my understanding that maltodextrin is only PARTIALLY unfermentable, unlike lactose. So I think any yeast could ferment it somewhat. Saison yeasts would definitely do a better job. Brett maybe eat through ti entirely

its my understanding that maltodextrin is only PARTIALLY unfermentable, unlike lactose. So I think any yeast could ferment it somewhat. Saison yeasts would definitely do a better job. Brett maybe eat through ti entirely

So since it's partially fermentable, it needs to be added to secondary or something, not at bottling, since that might cause gushers or bombs? Maybe lactose is what I would need at bottling.

Lactose will add sweetness as well since its fully unfermentable. I wouldnt add maltodextrin at bottling, maybe try adding it a week before. Also youd be able to taste it and see if its to your liking before bottling

Not sure about your beer, but this yeast has always given me a fuller mouthfeel than the gravity reading would indicate. Apparently this yeast produces some sort of stuff (forget the name, started with g I think) that gives the impression of more body without affecting gravity readings.

^^This is accurate, and the "stuff" is glycerol. It's probably the highest glycerol producing yeast strain in beer brewing - or close to it. Carbonation can do a lot for a beer's body and the glycerol will show through nicely.

Sounds like the wrong yeast for the beer. Why did you choose a saison yeast for a Belgian stout instead of something like 3787/530?

Sounds like the wrong yeast for the beer. Why did you choose a saison yeast for a Belgian stout instead of something like 3787/530?

I used 3711 on a similar (but imperial-strength) beer before that turned out well, and I've heard BS is similar. I had to order it during the summer and didn't want to order liquid. Also, I had no temp control (in the middle of moving) and from my experience, 3711 and now BS can handle high temps but don't require them to finish.

Lactose will add sweetness as well since its fully unfermentable. I wouldnt add maltodextrin at bottling, maybe try adding it a week before. Also youd be able to taste it and see if its to your liking before bottling

I've been tasting it, and it's pretty good, but I think it'd be better with a little more body to balance the 8% alcohol. Maybe some of that will come with age (I'm planning on Jan consumption). If it's going to cause a refermentation I'd rather add it sooner before aging it a few months than getting the yeast stirred up right before bottling.

Latest posts

Back