Can one Grow Hops in a deer infested area?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAIndigo

Reaction score
I'm going to start growing hops this year and was wondering if deer are overly attracted to them. We have a large yard surrounded by woods with many deer coming and going. My wife has a nice plan of a raised bed with trellis system that would work out well, I just don't want to stick them in the middle of my yard only to find it devastated by deer once they start to take off.

I had no problems with the deer last year other than getting them stepped on when they were just sprouting. The deer where I live normally eat everything but did not mess with the hops. To allow them to grow without getting trampled, I placed a 6 foot stake in the ground next to each plant and attached a cylinder of chicken wire to protect the sprouts. Worked well.

I'm also in MA with lots of deer in the area and they don't touch the hops. They're much more interested in the acorns and eating the buds off my apple trees.

I'm going to start growing hops this year and was wondering if deer are overly attracted to them. We have a large yard surrounded by woods with many deer coming and going. My wife has a nice plan of a raised bed with trellis system that would work out well, I just don't want to stick them in the middle of my yard only to find it devastated by deer once they start to take off.

I grow 8 varieties in my yard here in central MA. Although all mine are inside a stockade fence. So no deer problem (inside the fence that is), but I have a dog problem when it comes to trampling and a rabbit problem for nibbling of shoots. So protect the young shoots I build cages by wrapping chicken wire around a Sankey keg. Then I place one cage an inch or twon into the ground around each crown. It also helps with mulching and defining where the crown starts and lawn ends. I think once the bines get to a foot or so long the roughness of them will keep the deer and rabbits off them.

Back