Can liquid hopped malt extract be used as a yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike20793

Reaction score
I have an extra 3.3 lb can of hopped amber malt extract and I am hoping to get some use out of it (I don't brew from extract anymore). For my next brew session, I will be brewing a porter and a tripel. Can I use the hopped malt extract as a yeast starter? If so, how much should I use?

Sure you can, and however much it takes to make 1.040 wort.

1 lbs grain = .75 lbs LME = .60 lbs DME (approximately)

100g DME : 1 L of starter is the recommendation, using my above conversion that comes out to be 125g LME : 1 L of starter.

so, if you're doing a 1L starter, use 125g LME.

Since it's hopped extract, I would really recommend decanting before pitching, too.

My main concern is that the LME is hopped. I don't want any off flavors because of it. I may just stick with DME in my yeast starter and avoid the hassle of decanting. If I give the can of LME away to one of my friends it may entice them into becoming a homebrewer! Thanks for the information jaycount.

My main concern is that the LME is hopped. I don't want any off flavors because of it. I may just stick with DME in my yeast starter and avoid the hassle of decanting. If I give the can of LME away to one of my friends it may entice them into becoming a homebrewer! Thanks for the information jaycount.

You're being way too "paranoid" about that. It would be way too little an amount to affect your beers, unless maybe you were making 3.2 pale lagers....

But I'm curious, what's the "hassle" of decanting...it's like dumping the yeast starter into the fermenter, except the first pour is in the sink or on the ground. How is that a hassle? It's like "pouring from the shoulder" a bottle conditioned beer, you pour off the beer until the glop of yeast on the bottom starts to come out with the beer. Except when you get to the sediment,you pour that in the fermenter.

You're being way too "paranoid" about that. It would be way too little an amount to affect your beers, unless maybe you were making 3.2 pale lagers....

But I'm curious, what's the "hassle" of decanting...it's like dumping the yeast starter into the fermenter, except the first pour is in the sink or on the ground. How is that a hassle? It's like "pouring from the shoulder" a bottle conditioned beer, you pour off the beer until the glop of yeast on the bottom starts to come out with the beer. Except when you get to the sediment,you pour that in the fermenter.

Revvy is on the money (like usual). :mug:

I meant its a hassle because I am a newbie and I have never done it before. Honestly, I didn't know that it was that easy. You're right, I guess I am brewing too paranoid. I didn't know and have never done it before; that's why I asked. I got some great information. Thanks Revvy and jaycount.

For best results, refrigerate the starter for 12-24 hours before decanting. I usually try to do my starter 3-4 days before brew day if I plan to decant.

Do you let the yeast raise to pitching temperature after decanting and then pitch?

Yep. Take the starter out of the fridge and decant as you start your brew day. By the time you're done (typically a few hours), the yeast will be at room temperature.

Also, be sure to leave some liquid in the starter to help with pouring it out.

Back