Can I utilize the freezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnold931

Reaction score
I have a used Kenmore refrigerator/freezer. I have turned the fridge area into a fermentation chamber by plugging the Kenmore into an outlet controlled by an SCT1000. Is there any way I can separately control the temp of the freezer? I would like to store cold beer in there.

If it is a side by side then the evaporator is on the freezer side and controlled by the compressor. The frig side is controlled by a damper and fan that controls the air flow from the freezer side to the frig side. Usually with a temp controller similar to the freezer, but I've not seen how it is wired or how easy to hook up external controller in place of it. The freezer is set to the lower temp (38F) and the frig the higher temp (68F).

The trick would be to figure out how to control the damper/fan. snap the the bottom front panel and there should be wiring schematics folded up in there.

If freezer is on top it is usually a manual damper and uses gravity to pull the cold dense air from the top to the frig. Maybe a little more difficult to figure out how to automate.

Thanks. The freezer is on top so I am probably out of luck.

well, maybe not. Be sure to put the controller temp probe in the frig, and open the damper up all the way. let the frig come up to and stabilize at your fermentation temp. Mark the damper dial with 10 equal graduation marks that you can erase later if need be to add more or less marks later. Record the freezer side temp while gradually closing the damper one graduation a day. You maybe just need the freezer side in the 45F range.

You would need to keep an eye on the freezer side until you are comfortable with it's range compared to ambient temp. so it never gets below freezing.

This is all conjecture, but worth a try if so inclined. Keep good data and report back!

Circulate more air between freezer and fridge sections so they'll have the same or similar temps. Basically combining the fridge and freezer compartments so they get the same air. The freezer has the evaporator, so you may want to shield it a bit to prevent a cold spot there.

Careful if you want to make more or larger holes, there can be refrigerant tubing in the bottom as well as everywhere else.

Thanks. The only problem with this is when I am fermenting ales in the 60s.

When both sections have roughly the same temp through increased air circulation, your controller keeps it all at 60F. Except for maybe a cold spot near the evaporator when it's actively cooling. That dissipates though as soon as it cycles off.

A good fan and a return port between freezer and fridge sections should give you that airflow.

When using an outside temp controller at say 40 and up, you don't even have to do manual defrosts from time to time, as any ice melts during the "off" period. When lagering (34F) for extended periods (3-6 weeks) some ice may accumulate.

The fridge may still do automatic defrosts at certain intervals, depending on the way it's set up. Most have a "clock" that keeps track of the "on" time and after so many hours have "registered" it hits the defrost cycle. You can deactivate that mechanism if you want.

Now in most top freezer models, the top section is small (low) and cannot hold a carboy or a 3-4 gallon bucket.

Latest posts

Back