Can i use spindasol for wine fining?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zilyzal

Reaction score
Hello everyone,first of all sorry if my english is bad, i’m currently making my first batch (strawberry wine) and i want to use a Fining agent so i can have a Clear wine (should i even use clarifier on wine or not?). I live in iran so my recources are pretty limited and there’s only two options here. First one is gelatin and the second one is spindasol. My question is can i use spindasol for fining wine? It works on beer but I’m not sure if it works on wine too and they’re labeled malt clarifier (because alcohol is banned they can’t label them as wine or beer finer and provide more information) It’s a pretty big batch and i don’t want to screw it up

Do not use the Spindasol ... and I would *not* use gelatin either.

Spindasol it is not often used as a fining agent by itself. It is a fining adjunct; and is a silica product that attatches to proteins and helps in a more complete clearing, and flocculation and settling of lees
Spindasol is more commonly used in commercial brewing and vinting oporations.
Spindasol is employed often when carbon fining has been used, and for longer-term protein management in the final product ... and is a pre-treatment for fermentations that are going to go through filtration.

While there is a special Spindasol product called "Spindasol W" meant for wine, it is complicated to use and usually requires the use of gelatin (particularly the product "Gelsol"), and pre-treatment using pectinase. (Use in brewing is also technical and to get good results, testing to determine dosing is often used, and careful application and handing is required.)

In your strawberry wine I would *NOT* use the gelatin either ...
gelatin is very aggressive and can remove too much flavor and color.

I would say just be patient and let the wine clear itself in bulk aging (if possible) and then when clear, bottle the wine.

As far as getting clear strawberry wine ... it is important to use the pectic enzyme, pectinase.

Strawberries have a *lot* of pectin.
So to get a clear wine, treat the must with pectinase before fermenting.

Last edited:
Back