Can I use honey instead of sugar (using the same measurements)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium82

Reaction score
Hi

I have been told that 12% of my liquid should be sugar. so, 1L should contain 120 grs of sugar.
Can I do the same, but with honey? Would the honey be better or worse to the actual fermentation process? Would I need the same amount (120 grs in 1L)?
Thanks

Table Sugar is 100% sugar. Honey is about 80-81% sugar. So if you want the same amount of sugar, you'd need to use more honey by weight.

I'm not a Kambucha brewer, so I can't say whether honey would be better or worse than table sugar in Kambucha, but in other fermented beverages, I think it's fairly equivalent, after adjusting for sugar content. That said, if used in large amounts, honey can impart some honey flavors, which table sugar doesn't.

I brew Kombucha a lot and I always use sugar in the primary. I add honey and flavoring when I bottle.
That sounds good. Btw, how do I calculate amount of sugar needed per bottle (0.33L and 0.5L bottles) to carbonate well?
Thanks.

Back