Can i use ground spices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RayHeartburn

Reaction score
Hey,

Was thinking of brewing this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f78/holiday-spiced-ale-89603/ tomorrow.

I got the spices, but they are all finely grounded. Is that ok too use? And will the boil time be any different?

This is my first post on this forum, but i will still like to give a thank too all the contributors. Ive used it a lot of times, and found many answers here, but never taken the time too sign up.

Could probably have found answer to this question here too if i did some searching, but taught it would be an good exuse to get a profile :)

Cheers - Ray

I put my spices in the BK in the last 5-10 minutes. I use spices I've ground w/ a mortar & pestle& in the case of go ginger I sliced fresh ginger. I cut the pieces about the diameter & thickness of a quarter.

Heck yes. I brewed a spiced holiday ale with ground nutmeg and ginger. Came out FANTASTIC on bottling day... and will only get better over the next couple of months until the holidays. I added both (and a solid cinnamon stick) to the boil for 10 minutes.

Ground or whole, doesn't matter. I have done both with good results. Even using non traditional spices like fresh oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, ( no access to tyme). Different mints as well. Depending on what your brewing and how much you use. Don't be afraid to experiment. Good luck.
Cheers
Kev

Thanks for the replies :)

I will go at it today, and use my grounded spices. Just try and be careful with the amount, cause ive heard its better with too little then too much :p

The result will be ready in mid december.....

:mug:

Back