Can I use Extra Pale LME for a dark beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izraehl

Reaction score
Can I do this and use steeping grains for color? Specifically I have a surplus Austin Homebrew's Extra Pale LME and I'd like to make an oatmeal stout.

I've gotten the advice to use the lightest extract you can find and leave the color to crystal/caramel or the roast/chocolate/black patent malts

lighter extracts get sold quicker at the LHBS, so more likely it's fresher than the darker

Sure you can. Peruse some all grain recipes of the type you would like to make. 9 times out of 10, the main grain is going to be pale 2-row.

One thing of note if you aren't aware. You need to do a partial mash with the oatmeal and a malted barley to get the oatmeal goodness into your beer.

Is there any difference between partial mashing and steeping? Is it essentially an extended steep?

Not the same. Steeping grains don't normally contain grains that have active enzymes. The temperature range for mashing is fairly narrow whereas steeping is 32 to 170 degrees.

Here's how you could do a partial mash if all you are set up for is steeping grains. Take your oatmeal and combine it with an equal amount of ground 2-row or 6-row in a steeping bag along with your steeping grains. Put that into your water and heat it to around 152-155 degrees. Turn off the heat and let it be for an hour. You will have to apply a little heat and stir every 10 minutes to try and maintain the temperature. You can wrap the pot in something to insulate it.

The enzymes in the malted barley will convert the starch in the malt and in the oatmeal during the mash into fermentable and unfermentable sugars. Once you are done, proceed with your recipe as if you had just steeped your grains.

Back