Can I store post-fermentation wort in a refrigerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARLStein

Reaction score
This is my first brew in 5 years.. quick question. I only have 1 Corny Keg and I don't want to bottle, but my recipe is an 11 gallon batch.

Can I ferment all 11 gallons and then store half in a refrigerator at a certain temperature for 1-2 months? Aka until I drink all 5 gallons of the first half lol (with help).

I have several carboys and the refrigerator space. This would be an ale recipe.

Thanks!

Post fermentation wort is BEER. Yes you can store it in a refrigerator, but you are at risk of oxidation, which will degrade the flavor of the beer over time. Kegging and bottling both protect beer from oxygen exposure (for the most part). You would need to find a way to purge the headspace of whatever storage vessel you used, and then seal it well, in order to minimize oxidation. If you have a hoppy beer, your chances of having anything worth drinking after extended storage are very low, unless you can practice closed transfer, O2 avoidance, packaging.

Brew on :mug:

Post fermentation wort is BEER. Yes you can store it in a refrigerator, but you are at risk of oxidation, which will degrade the flavor of the beer over time. Kegging and bottling both protect beer from oxygen exposure (for the most part). You would need to find a way to purge the headspace of whatever storage vessel you used, and then seal it well, in order to minimize oxidation. If you have a hoppy beer, your chances of having anything worth drinking after extended storage are very low, unless you can practice closed transfer, O2 avoidance, packaging.

Brew on :mug:

Duh... haha that makes a lot of sense. I guess I'll just bottle the 2nd half. I hate bottling lol.

If it takes you 1-2 months to drink a keg, and you hate bottling, you're probably better off making 5 gallon batches. Unless you don't like brewing......

Just wondering: how about bottling the remainder in 2 liter pet bottles (like old sprite or 7 up ones).
Not too much work that way and capping is very easy ;)
But it sort of means you have to drink it 2 liters at the time....

Just wondering: how about bottling the remainder in 2 liter pet bottles (like old sprite or 7 up ones).
Not too much work that way and capping is very easy ;)
But it sort of means you have to drink it 2 liters at the time....

1L and 710ml bottles also work well for this and are small enough for one person to have in a day or two while being thicker and better for carving than the relatively thin 591 bottles

It sounds like you're planning to ferment the batch in two carboys? Why not leave the second carboy at ambient temperatures the whole time? I suspect a 3-4 month primary will be less harmful than the oxygen uptake from cold crashing.

It sounds like you're planning to ferment the batch in two carboys? Why not leave the second carboy at ambient temperatures the whole time? I suspect a 3-4 month primary will be less harmful than the oxygen uptake from cold crashing.

This is the plan of action I would take. Ferment in two separate carboys. Keg the one and let the other one sit. As long as you don't expose it to outside air after fermentation, it would be a pretty stable environment, I would think.

Depending on the style of the beer. Keeping one in the fermenter might be the better route to go.

If it is a stout or such I would leave it in the fermenter with an airlock at ambient temperatures.

If it is a pale ale fill a carboy almost full, seal tightly, and put it in the fridge.

If it is a hoppy beer I would find some way to put it into the pipeline and drink it before the hop aroma and flavor fade.

While I know that kegs are not as cheap as they used to be...instead of risking $20+ of beer why not just pony the $50 for a used keg?
I still find this crazy. The used pony keg market just got flooded, like major flooded. Yet prices are still high

Major flooded?? I haven't seen any evidence of this happening. Link?

PepsiCo just discontinued use of their premix kegs a year ago and thousands were sold off from their main branches (Montreal, Missisuaga, and Vancouver (where I work)).

And from what I hear Coke has started doing the same starting almost a year ago too.

Ball locks are going for as low as $35 right now.
I’ve seen pin locks for as low as $29.

I’m going to have 6 taps, I only have 11 kegs, I need 6 more ....it’s about time!

PepsiCo just discontinued use of their premix kegs a year ago and thousands were sold off from their main branches (Montreal, Missisuaga, and Vancouver (where I work)).

And from what I hear Coke has started doing the same starting almost a year ago too.

I was under the impression that this happened long ago. I haven't seen kegs in stores in a very long time. They use plastic bags now.
And if you are talking thousands that would hardly be flooding the market. I haven't seen any increase in ads for people selling kegs.

I will have to keep my eyes open.... I could use a few more.

I did get an email yesterday from Homebrew Deals about ball lock kegs as low as about $30 with stacked deals. I don't remember where from though, or what deals need to be stacked.
I would recommend to the OP to keep his eyes on Craigslist or something for people selling stuff off.
I don't say jump on the first kegs you see, but wait for a good price, espeicially if there's other stuff included too. IN the meantime, I get it about not liking to bottle, but I'd highly recommend it in this case. if it was just another gallon or so, toss it in a growler or two, or just dump, but 6 extra gallons? yeah, don't waste that.

I’m going to have 6 taps, I only have 11 kegs, I need 6 more ....it’s about time!

Why do you need 17 kegs to serve from 6 taps?

To have 6 on tap, and then more at various stages of readiness to get cycled into being on tap, aging, carbonating etc.
That would be my guess anyways.

Why do you need 17 kegs to serve from 6 taps?
I don't. But I want 6 more, so....

To have 6 on tap, and then more at various stages of readiness to get cycled into being on tap, aging, carbonating etc.
That would be my guess anyways.

That's about right. [emoji482]

...and CO2 is everywhere, but unfortunately, it takes some doing to get it pressurized into canisters. This is the one thing I'd really like to see go down in price.

I was under the impression that this happened long ago. I haven't seen kegs in stores in a very long time. They use plastic bags now.
And if you are talking thousands that would hardly be flooding the market. I haven't seen any increase in ads for people selling kegs.

I will have to keep my eyes open.... I could use a few more.

The US started their discontinuation of premix kegs about 8 years ago and wrapped up about a few years back, replacing everything with BIB, Canada just did their last year, and my site itself got rid of a little over 9k, while both of the major plants back East each got rid of more, by a larger margin.

Oh, Canada... That probably won't affect pricing in the US by much. I started brewing almost 8 years ago. The price of used kegs has been steadily rising since then. The going price seems to be somewhat regional. In New England going price has gotten to about $60 each. Other places I have seen as low as $40 US dollars. I haven't seen any decrease unless and individual goes low just to get them out of their house.

New kegs on the other hand have come down in price as production of them has increased. When I first say them on the market they were all over $100 usd.

Back