Can I save my Octoberfast ale in time for Thanksgiving?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskerBrewer

Reaction score
My plan was to bring an Oktoberfast ale (loosely following BierMuncher's version) home for Thanksgiving. I used the Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast since it sounded like it would produce a nice clean flavor profile. I fermented in my basement using a swamp cooler setup with wet towels and a blowing fan. The ambient temp was around 65 F, so hopefully the swamp cooler kept it a few degrees cooler.

After a little over three weeks I brought it up to my garage to cold crash and put the Polar Vortex to good use. After three days in my garage (basically around 40 F) I racked into a keg and put it on gas.

Now after about a week and a half on gas this thing still tastes like a hot mess of under-attenuation. Very cloudy samples still and it just tastes almost like a post-boil/pre-fermentation wort sample. The FG was 1.014 which was what I though was in the range of what I wanted.

Was the 1007 a bad choice? I guess on the Wyeast description for that yeast it does say that it remains in suspension post fermentation, but I thought the cold crashing might have settled it out better than that.

Bottom line, it is beer but I suppose it's more of an Altbier rather than Oktoberfestish. But are there any recommendations for how to get this back towards the nice, clean, malty lager profile I was going for? Thanks!

I have checked my hydrometer recently in water and it's fine. I mashed at 156 as well. I can't remember off the top of my head what the OG was so I'll have to look in my log book at home but it was in the 1.050 range I was was trying to hit.

Back