Can I save my band-aid beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arose302

Reaction score
Totally new to this, I was wondering if someone could give me some insight. This was my first batch in about 3 years and admittedly I forgot a lot of information and rushed it a bit, I was just anxious to get back into it. Pissed off the Beer Gods for suuure.

This brew was a liquid extract amber kit from a local brewery supplier. I followed the directions fairly accurately and santized thoroughly, but now after 2 weeks of fermentation I have beer that tastes and smells like band-aids. My hydrometer reading today was 1.01, the same it was about 10 days ago. I had little airlock activity, but for the 1st 4-5 days it was pretty consistent, then for the remainder of the 2 weeks, nothing.

I pitched a liquid yeast but did not make a starter (did not remember to do so), just warmed to room temp and pitched, and kept this a solid 72-74 in a plastic bin with cold water for the whole 2 weeks- a couple fluctuations up to 76. I also used a gallon of tap water to add after cooking the wort.

Voila; band-aids in liquid form.

Its obvious I have some defects but how can I save it, if I can at all?

Your best bet is to let it sit in the fermenter for another 2-3 weeks and see if the yeast can clean it up. Sounds like your tap water has to be de-chlorinated with Campden before use.

Unfortunately you're stuck with bandaid beer, which is caused by using bleach as a sanitizer and not rinsing well or by the chlorine/chloramine in your water supply. Chalk it up as a learning experience. Next time make a starter, use bottled spring water and ferment cooler.

Back