Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

res291que

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a mead several months ago, I can grab the specifics, OG, FG, recipe, etc when I get home. I made about a 2.5 gallon batch and put into a 5 gallon carboy. Just been sitting in that never transferred or anything, has 2 - 3 gallons of headspace. When I tasted this the other day it tasted to me like it had oxidized, I was debating about mixing some new mead into this and refermenting. Would this help or is this a futile effort and should I just dump the batch? Thanks in advance for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've found many new mazers confuse "oxidized" with "young mead that tastes like ass". Oxidation is really rare in mead unless something catastrophic occurred.

Young mead is saved by age and patience. Truly oxidized mead is fixed by making another batch properly.

Better brewing through science!

I've found many new mazers confuse "oxidized" with "young mead that tastes like ass". Oxidation is really rare in mead unless something catastrophic occurred.

yupers!

also, if you just let it ferment and didn't rack it or anything, then the "air" space in the carboy should be filled with the CO2 that the yeast made.

Latest posts

Back