Can I pour collected wort from bucket to kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

Attempting my first all grain this weekend. I'm planning on batch sparging, and for now don't have anything large enough for a HLT. So was going to heat strike water in the kettle, pour it in the tun, heat sparge water in the kettle, drain tun to bucket, pour in sparge water, drain to kettle, and then add wort from bucket.

My only question is the last step: do I have to worry about siphoning the wort from bucket to kettle to prevent air exposure? Or can I just gently pour it in?

Just pour it in. That's what I do. No ill effects ever observed by myself or in any of the comp entries I've submitted.

I do this as well (due to only having 1 pot) and have had no issues. Upside, is that I sparge into a calibrated bucket so I know my pre-boil volume accurately.

Great - thanks guys. I was reading in 'How to Brew' about hot wort oxidation out of the mash run, but of course you're right it would be cooler by the time it's ready to go back in the kettle.

Keep in mind too that the free version of "How to Brew" is very dated. It is still a good resource but is out-of-date on many things, such as hot side aeration.

Hot side aeration being a concern is being questioned in regards to homebrew scale of late. I think you'll be fine with your above procedure.

I'd suggest you experiment with using cool water for your sparge. You may find little difference in the efficiency and it would avoid the necessity of using the boil pot to heat the water.

Keep in mind too that the free version of "How to Brew" is very dated. It is still a good resource but is out-of-date on many things, such as hot side aeration.

I bought the 3rd edition paperback -- is it still out of date would you say? I believe it's 2006.

I haven't read any version more recent than the free one, but if it still asserts that hot side aeration is a concern for home brewers then it is out-of-date on at least one point :)

Of course asking and reading here (as you are already doing) is a great way to fill the gaps and check the process!

I haven't read any version more recent than the free one, but if it still asserts that hot side aeration is a concern for home brewers then it is out-of-date on at least one point :)

Of course asking and reading here (as you are already doing) is a great way to fill the gaps and check the process!

Ah okay. Yeah it's not a big deal i was just curious if it can be 'trusted' so to speak.

i think the forums here are the best resource, but I like to sit down with a book in my hands :)

Back