can I lager now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portlandbeergeek

Reaction score
I've got about half a dozen all grain batches under my belt, all ales. With our overnight temps holding steadily in the 50's or lower for the next six months, i'd like to start making lagers! I can lager the beers in a cold room that stays at a fairly constant temperature.
Having said that, can I lager now? Any hints that an ale brewer might overlook while making their first lager? Can someone suggest a style/recipe that's easier for a first time lagerer? Anything and everything is appreciated. Cheers!

Lagers are usually fermented around 50F, so generally you'd want the ambient temperature a couple of degrees below 50F.

Lagers are "lagered" (think long, cold secondary fermentation) as close to freezing as possible for a month or more.

So if you don't have some spare refrigerator or freezer space to dedicate to 5 gallons of beer, you won't be able to properly lager it.

Edit: Ok, you could probably lager it in a water bath if you put frozen water bottles in the water and change them out frequently.

One of the most important things about lagers, other than temperature control, is pitching the proper amount of yeast.

Use Jamil's pitching rate calculator to find out how big of a starter that you need, which will be much bigger than any starter you've made for an ale.

I recommend cooling your wort down a little below your fermentation temperature, pitching the yeast, and letting it warm on its own to the fermentation temp.

Most any recipe can be fermented with lager yeast. If you can keep the fermentation at 48F to 54F then it will be OK. Anything you can do to make this possible will allow you to make a lager. Lagers take longer to ferment and condition so you can't rush them.

A few tips:

-You need two sets of fermentation temps... one around 50dF (primary) and one around 34dF (lagering). Also a third temp for diacetyl rest would be good for your first lager (60s). So, if you can figure out a way to get all these storage temps, you're fine.

-As said by other(s), you need to pitch a larger starter than normal. A 1 gallon starter per 5-6 gallons is usually sufficient. Or in the case of dry lager yeast, pitch two packs per 5-6 gallons. Make your starter more in advance of brewday than you do with ales. I try to make mine at least a week in advance.

-It's best to cool your wort down to at least primary fermentation temp (~50dF) before pitching yeast. Even better, is to cool it down to below primary temps (~45dF), pitch, and let it warm up to ~50dF. So, depending on your method of cooling, you may need to make an adjustment for that.

-If you're going to do a single infusion mash, get a well-modified malt. Most are, so there isn't much trouble with that. If you use Pilsner malt, do a 90 minute boil with the lid off and cool as quickly as possible to prevent DMS formation.

The two biggest things with lagers are pitching enough yeast and good temperature control throughout the entire process.

As far as easy recipes/styles go, brew what you like and something that fits your water profile. They're all roughly the same in level of ease or difficulty. The only difficult thing in brewing some lagers is decoction mashing, so just go with a single infusion mash recipe. Just pick a style you want to brew... you'll be able to find a relatively easy and proven recipe for it somewhere.

Probably stupid question(newby), but can you do this in a converted fridge taht can be regulated at said temps?

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Benjamin Franklin

My fermentation temps have always been whatever my storage closet is at :cool:

SWMBO has allowed primary fermentation to move to an indoor coat closet that will probably stay in the upper 50's or low 60's while the outside storage closet will be used for cold aging.

Thanks to all for the input, I think i'll just brew and relax; the hard part will be waiting! But that's what my Apfelwein is for :D

Back