can i just put my new wort ontop of the old yeast cake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frijole

Reaction score
I have a beer in the fermenter I am about to take out and I want to know if i put put the new wort in the fermenter with the yeast cake. seems like a pretty hefty starter. what are the problems, if any, with this method?

I've never had any problems doing it, in fact, I've had fantastic luck doing it. Get ready for some wild fermentation and have a blow off tube handy.

Yup perfectly fine and a fairly common practice. Get ready for crazy fermentation. Two things to look out for 1) you can only pitch ontop of the same cake 2-3 times and 2) people generally start with a lighter brew and pitch progressively darker ones on top of the cake, otherwise you pale ale may end up being less than pale

Well the advantages: more then enough yeast cell count, pretty cheap

disadvantages: can impart flavors in your second beer that you weren't expecting, more chance for a contamination to occur.

So if you think the yeast cake is pretty clean and appropriate for your wort...by all means pour on top. Don't keep recycling that cake though (as I now notice has been mentioned only do 2-3 times): it will always be getting more floculants and having bigger room for more contaminates.

I have done it with no problems dumping a barley wine on a yeast cake, I have not really dumped a 1.050 beer on a yeast cake....
Some will say its not a good idea
Some will say no problem
As long as your sanitation is good it wont hurt anything, go for it and make your own opinion. Keep the temp down, your gonna get a rapid crazy fermentation, good luck!

I have done so in making Wine, but never thought to do it with beer. I currently have an IPA in a primary and planned to start a Blonde Ale on Friday, but I may wait a few days for the IPA to be racked to secondary and re-use the yeast cake :ban: I can then save my White Labs Yeast for a later day.

What are your thoughts on using the yeast cake from the IPA to do the Blonde Ale? Both are Ale's.

Salute! :mug:

Wait - aren't you the guy who was asking why you couldn't use just one cell in a different thread? ;)

I don't recommend it. It is always excessive over-pitching. Over-pitching results in - comparatively speaking - mediocre beer. Without intending offense to those who practice the procedure, I have no choice but to say it's also lazy. Here's my reasoning.

The vast majority of beer styles rely on a certain flavor characteristic imparted by the yeast. Over-pitching suppresses the development of those flavor precursors by removing the reproductive phase. That might be fine for a Light American Lager, but it's the death of all English and Belgian Ales, as well as most American styles and wheat beers.

The yeast in the slurry have just conducted a vigorous ferment (if you've performed good yeast management). They've just worked really, really hard. By knocking out fresh wort onto the cake, you're asking them to perform the same task - or a significantly harder task, depending on how high the new wort's gravity - without replenishing themselves. In essence, you're asking them to perform the same without permitting them to conduct a crucial portion of their life cycle.

You're knocking out into a filthy fermenter. I don't know how brewers are making the mistake of thinking that something that is visibly not clean is okay to receive wort. The same brewers who will tell you to not touch the inside of a plastic bucket fermenter for fear of scratching it are all too ready to tell you it's perfectly all right to put fresh wort into a receptacle that is covered in muck. Ew. The rule is simple: if it looks dirty, it is dirty. Clean it and sanitize it before the next use.

In other words, it's lazy; can't be bothered to compute and pitch the correct amount of yeast for style and gravity, can't be bothered to conduct yeast management, can't be bothered to even clean the gear? Then follow that procedure. How can consistently excellent beer come out of such an arrangement? Short answer: It can't. The procedure deliberately ignores too many things absolutely essential to world-class beer.

Can you make good beer by knocking out onto a yeast cake? Sure. Can you make consistently excellent beer? Nope.

That's my tuppence, anyhow. Again, I don't mean to give offense to anyone who's experienced acceptable results with that method.

Cheers!

Bob

what about taking some of the yeast from the cake and making a starter from that. Then using it in the next batch. Do you see any issues with that?

You can rack on top of a yeast cake and make good to great beer. Is it the optimal method? Nope, but it isn't going to have a huge impact on the quality of your beer. As home brewers we can do things that are not perfect, but produce acceptable results. Things like malt extract, steeping instead of mashing, etc. are not the perfect way to brew, but they work fine. If you are worried about the negative effects of over pitching, then remove about half of the slurry and you'll be close to the correct pitching rate.

I used to pitch onto the entire cake until recently when Bob edumucated me :)

Honestly, most of the beers I did this with turned out pretty decent, save a Kolsch that has an autolysis problem (pretty nasty rubber taste). I am chalking this problem up to severely overpitching with a very light grain bill (nothing to mask any off flavors), and I won't do it again.

I always knew I was overpitching, but had read too many people say things like "It's almost impossible for a homebrewer to overpitch", so I didn't worry about it.....then I found out just how much I was overpitching by: on a recent batch I collected the yeast cake into a large mason jar, and after things settled in the fridge for a couple days, I ended up with 1000 mL of slurry. Using the mrmalty pitching calculator, I found that I only needed 80 mL of slurry for my next beer! Had I pitched onto the cake, I would have been pitching almost 13 times too much yeast!

I think you can get away with pitching onto the entire cake with a high gravity lager, but I'm sold on using the calculator and pitching the recommended amount now.

2 questions:

1. Do you just simply pour on top of it?
2. How long do you give it before pitching additional yeast?

1. You can. Some people clean the Kraussen ring off the fermentor or dump the slurry into another containner while they clean/sanitize the fermentor.

2. You shouldn't have to add any more yeast. It'll take off very quickly.

If saving a few dollars on yeast is the goal, then why not invest in a kit to culture yeast? I've seen them around and they are only $25-$35.

2 mins of cleaning fermentor + $1.50 for new yeast = The flavor your looking for!If you just want cheap/free alcohol make apflewein.Nothing wrong with apflewein,Just saying it's easy/quick/cheap/drunk:D

2 mins of cleaning fermentor + $1.50 for new yeast = The flavor your looking for!If you just want cheap/free alcohol make apflewein.Nothing wrong with apflewein,Just saying it's easy/quick/cheap/drunk:D

Right now the drunk :drunk: portion sounds REALLY good!!! Cheers! :mug:

If saving a few dollars on yeast is the goal, then why not invest in a kit to culture yeast? I've seen them around and they are only $25-$35.

I think this would require yeast washing, a process of purifying the sample, and can also be performed on commercial beers (Sierra Nevada).

Back