Can I have a short fermentation, I'm thirsty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiot

Reaction score
:pipe:
Beer has been in fermenting in my conical for 4 days, yeast sank to the bottom. Hydrometer reading says finished 5% alcohol. I took a sample, the aftertaste is great, even just the taste is great. It really smells like yeast though.

I have a conical should i remove the yeast, would that help to get rid of the smell?

Also I want to rush this on fermentation wise just give it 8 days, should I still remove the yeast now and put it in a bucket for a (4 days primary, 4 days secondary)?

Is there a way to kill the yeast to remove the taste and smell of it like boil it again or something?

I am not in a beer consoeur mood, I am doing it to save money, it be nice not not get live yeast in my belly, but other than that I drink 5 kegs worth a month, the cost really adds up, any advice for doing it quick?
:drunk:

I expected to get something like that I have read that you can have just the primary fermentation 7 day, than cold crush and keg. The yeast settle to the bottom do I remove the yeast to have less dead yeast flavor? i get it best fermentation for an ale is 3 weeks. To make 5 batches a month I need 5 buckets. I have 1 bucket and one conical. Can i remove the yeast for Christ sake?

first batch in a while just really itching to test out my keg that I bought with co2. I get it 4 weeks for best result. It already tastes better than store bought beer. Can I keg it in I week? :confused: Why can't you people understand me. I'll buy the extra buckets and do it proper when I make the next few batches, I promise.

You can remove the majority of yeast from the conical but you still have to deal with live yeast in suspension.
How do you plan on carbonating? Should I assume you have the ability to force carbonate?
Even then, you have to wait because carbing takes time. Refrigerated "cold crash" down to near-freezing would be far better than boiling your beer to kill yeast. Boiling would reduce your ABV and autolyze yeast.

I am going to transfer it from the conical to a bucket, than put it in the fridge maybe overnight and turn the dial to coldest, bucket won't fit in the freezer. I have a thermometer i can try to hit 0 degrees in there. It might be -1, what temperature does beer freeze at? How long do you have to do that for? Could i cold crush it in the keg I mean the keg is going in the fridge. I used to bottle it gets incredibly dirty, a bit nervous.

You are best NOT removing the yeast for a short ferment - it won't help drop out the yeast that is still in suspension and could slow down the conditioning of the beer (and don't put it in a secondary fermenter). Your best option for a short ferment is to increase the temperature (now that the bulk of the ferment is completed) to help the yeast stay active and clean up by products. About 22C/72F is good for a typical ale yeast. After that, the yeast will drop out of suspension faster. Cold crashing in the keg, then adding some gelatine finings will help drop out most of the remaining yeast. BTW, I prefer beers with yeast derived flavours (English, Belgian, Hefs etc) which benefit from SHORTER primary ferments (more esters etc. still remaining) - three week ferments make them too clean for my tastes (but I do then ideally naturally carbonate in the keg for several weeks).

One of my favorite Jersey braumeisters once said during a tour beer tends to freeze around 28F. The water component will freeze to ice first. 0F isn't a good idea.
If your bucket fits - sure, you can put the transferred beer in and cover it with a lid. Cold crashing takes a few days. If you put the beer in a keg, purge the airspace with CO2 after filling, seal, and pressurize for about 4-5 days.
Longer is better - especially if you want a "clean" ale.

Just dump the trub now. Wait two days, check it and dump again if needed, and then keg. No reason to move the beer to a bucket when you have a keg. Moving it to a bucket will risk oxidation and offer no benefit at all.

Just move it from the conical to the keg once the majority of the yeast is dumped.

That "the best ale 4 week" thing isn't true, so don't worry about that. It's done when it's done. It may be 5 days, and then give it a couple more days to drop clear, and then keg it. It could be 10 days, depending on yeast strain though. Some strains (like S04) will give a clear beer within just a day or so of finishing fermentation. Others, like S05 for me, will take forever to want to clear and drop out. If you don't mind some yeasty beer, you can keg it now if you want. I'd wait a bit and drop the trub and then keg it.

Does the conical fit in the fridge? That would be best.

Don't put the beer in a bucket, you'll oxidize the beer.

How many empty kegs do you have?

1. If you have 2, you can transfer it to a keg now
  2. Purge headspace with CO2
  3. Cold crash for a few days. Add some gelatin to speed up the clarification process.
  4. Then transfer the beer under CO2 from keg to keg with a jumper tube. Blow off the first pint or 2, which will be very yeasty (from the slurry on the bottom) but once it clears, connect to the 2nd keg. Transfer the clear beer!
    Once you reach the bottom, yeasty slurry will start to be transferred again, you can see it and hear it. so stop the transfer immediately when that happens by pulling the QD off the receiving keg. You've got to be fast and ready for it.
  5. Force carbonate, and it will be ready the next day. And get better over a week.

Wow so many and even slightly different answers. Today I opened the valve for the yeast catcher and thrown out all the sediment and yeast. The airlock doesn't bubble but the yeast is still in there cleaning up, so I'm letting it clean up 7-10 days, whatever. I feel safe with the conical in terms of pests, contamination etc. Today a dude in my building died from liver failure due to alcoholism, Jesus. He was only like 39. :( I stayed sober all day because I was reading about brewing. Wow maybe I should just clean my brewing equipment and be sad today. Also he was more of a cherry drinker, I hate that stuff.

I am not in a beer consoeur mood, I am doing it to save money, it be nice not not get live yeast in my belly, but other than that I drink 5 kegs worth a month, the cost really adds up, any advice for doing it quick?
:drunk:

Holy moly that's a lot of beer! That's like 7 tall cans a day, or almost 10 12oz cans a day. Assuming that's a regular corny keg. You must really like beer. :mug:

a person really died today an alcoholic i did know him but every 6 month another person dies from similar thing in building live in i don't want to laugh today i want to cry.

a person really died today an alcoholic i did know him but every 6 month another person dies from similar thing in building live in i don't want to laugh today i want to cry.

This post was less than amusing at first, now its starting to be uncomfortable. :confused:

Last edited:
I can't believe I've actually read all of both of this trolls threads..and have now posted on one *hangs head in shame*

I can't believe I've actually read all of both of this trolls threads..and have now posted on one *hangs head in shame*

No shame in calling it what is it....chin up...all good advice to a person that wants to try something none of us would do...in the name of experimentation we can all live vicariously through them...move on, nothing more to see here...

I am not a troll. Subsidized housing, people die here. Here I am brewing cop cars show up and I find out Colin is dead and I knew he was going to die, but **** while I am brewing. Most of the people that past away liquor, cherry, drugs. I only drink beer and only the 5% kind.

Are you from Canada idiot? I believe you aren't a troll sort of. It's just in the U.S. you would be getting forced into AA and drug tested and ripped off in subsidized housing.

Happy 4th of July!

My life would be different in the states, you're right 100%. I wouldn't try your little life is so easy in Canada thing, because I experience a lot of that here and it wasn't pretty. In the US I would probably have a gun and live in a trailer, or many many guns my own business and live in a trailer. If you haven't experienced life on the streets in Canada, at least don't say that you know. I know it's the merican way and all. Happy 4th of July! Grass looks greener on the other side here really often too.

Forced into AA that would have saved Colins life, in Canada they'd rather you die, it's nicer that way.

As for getting ripped off I don't do drugs and taking a mans beer, from that I have a scar on my face.

All of this stuff happens in Canada just in a much "nicer" way.

Like free healthcare they will attach your nose to your anus by accident and suing in Canada is a different process.

Back